1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Storage in Socks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todddietrich, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

The gun safe is full. My long guns are getting packed like sardines. I am thinking of buying gun socks for everything at $15 a pop. Up sizing the gun safe is not really an option right now. I have a dry rod in the safe.
    Other than the fact you can't see what gun is which with the socks on, is there any long term problems with moisture or finish wear? It would have to be better than letting a K98 rub against a M1 Garand. Is there any easy (cheap) alternatives?

thanks for comments,

Todd (Illinois)

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My gun safe is also crowded, I have all my fine guns in socks and in the back row of the safe. As long as you put them away oiled and take them out every few months to wipe them down I don't see any problem with using a sock.
    Some of my socked guns have been protected for at least 5 years now, really does a nice job on eliminating dings and scratches.
    I do keep a dehumidifier in the safe.

3. bz5119

bz5119 Member

I have all of my guns in socks in the safe, I wipe down with a rem-oil wipe and put them in a sock then pack them in the safe. No worries about dings and dents.

Buying 6 packs helps with the cost too.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Knit-Sock-52-Inch/dp/B0035LTXUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364136579&sr=8-1&keywords=gun+socks+6+pack

4. todddietrich

I did some more reading. What I need are silicone treated. I just ordered a dozen. I can use the same system as my work desk. The important stuff is on the top of the pile.

regards,

Todd

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

If / When you oil them before storage, store the guns Barrel Down !

Oil over time will drain downward, and will migrate into the wood of the stock. I have seen, and have been victim of this. Stocks will soften and break easily. This will happen with a gun in storage over time. You think you wiped all the excess oil off, but oil is still there.

Just my advice as I found out the hard way.

Dave in SC

6. todddietrich

Dave,
    Thanks for the advice. Years ago I bought a curved recoil pad, I don't recall the brand. It came with a little button that you would stick into the screw hole to keep the pad from developing a flat spot. If you forgot to remove this button before you shot, you would definitely remember the next time. My gun safe can accomodate a few long guns stored barrel down, but not near all of them. Do most people use these little buttons? I am sure I lost the one that came with the pad.

regards,

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun socks for storage

gun storage socks
storing guns in socks