1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Stolen flying US Airways

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

Article 11/14/07:
    Airline Fails To Report Gun Stolen From Baggage
    At Least 11 Guns Stolen From Baggage At PHL In Past 3 Years

POSTED: 12:19 am EST November 14, 2007
    UPDATED: 1:27 am EST November 14, 2007

PHILADELPHIA -- A former police officer said his gun was stolen at Philadelphia International Airport. Because of the theft, there is a federal investigation.

But what is just as upsetting to the former SEPTA police officer is the attitude of the airline.

Two weeks after the gun went missing from his US Airways baggage, Tim Boukouris said he can't get a call back from the airline.

"It's in reference to my stolen firearm," Boukouris said, making one of the phone calls.

Now, he's convinced his gun is in the hands of a criminal on the streets of Philadelphia. So, he called Lu Ann Cahn and the NBC 10 Investigators.

"I'm offended, and everybody in Philadelphia and this region should be offended that these people don't have enough concern," Boukouris said.

On Oct. 14, Boukouris flew US Airways from Philadelphia to New Orleans for a police chiefs' convention. He said he packed a gun in a lock box, signed paperwork and checked it into luggage complying with all Transportation Security Administration regulations.

When he landed, the gun case arrived, but the gun was gone.

"I want to know who they fired for this, this travesty. I want to know what's going on, what kind of investigation they're doing. Nothing, I've gotten nothing back," Boukouris said.

US Airways Security at Philadelphia International Airport refused to comment on camera.

The corporate office said when a gun is reported missing, they notify corporate security and start an investigation. They don't notify police because it's technically the passenger's property.

"It's neglect. It's criminal neglect," Boukouris said.

Boukouris notified everyone, including Philadelphia police, the TSA, and TSA notified Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.

"There's been a number of incidents at the airport involving gun thefts," an ATF official told NBC 10.

Officially, police said 11 guns have been missing or stolen from Philadelphia International in the last three years. Sources said it is probably twice that number.

"If you lost your makeup kit, it's treated pretty much the same way as this gentleman was when a firearm was misplaced, and I think that's a very dangerous problem," said Congressman Rob Andrews, of New Jersey.

Andrews sits on the terrorism subcommittee in Washington.

"This is not rocket science here. I mean, there should be a system where the airline keeps track of the gun, and where the TSA requires them to keep track of the gun and guns don't get lost," Andrews said.

The TSA told NBC 10 that "gun theft from checked baggage is an issue TSA is tackling head-on"

But how can the TSA investigate if it doesn't know the gun is missing?

"The gun came out of this airport. Where is it now? How did they get it out of the airport?" Boukouris said.

That's simple.

"What happened to the metal detector here?" Cahn asked an employee.

Three years ago, the NBC 10 Investigators reported on lax screening of US Airways employees, showing workers going through metal detectors but no one checking their bags.

Now, the TSA said it has just advised the airline to take the metal detector down, that it didn't serve a security purpose.

Meanwhile, between January and September, US Airways reported more missing and stolen items than any other major airline in the country.

"They are walking off with jewelry and laptops and guns and personal items that belong to people because nobody's there to stop them," Boukouris said.

Boukouris said he can't sleep thinking about it.

"I dread the day I get a phone call that someone says we found the gun, it was used in a homicide," he said.

As a result of this story, Andrews said he will draft legislation requiring the airline to report and the TSA to track missing and stolen guns, Cahn reported.

Boukouris said US Airways reimbursed him Tuesday for his gun while the feds keep looking for it.

2. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Dear Friend
    After you look at employees working at most airports you can understand why welfare to work isnt a good idea . Ive had people at airports charged with handling baggage say $5.00 to make sure your bags dont get lost . Your Gun should had been in chain of custody with Pilots ect . Not ground crews slinging and stealing . Air-ports are sensitive areas we can do better than hire all minorities and illegal aliens to work there , Take away some CEO pay and hire decent employee,s That may help . I do hope you retrieve that firearm .

Pat Kelley

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat, you're right about "decent employees". The main problem would be that there is just not enough "decent people" that would take that type of work no matter what the pay rate.

Of all the airlines at the Philly airport, U.S Airways has the biggest theft problem which indicates they are not enough spending money on internal security.

MY other question would be....why does a Septa (transit cop) police officer need a hand gun in New Orleans for a conference?

Bad things happen to stupid people!

Curt - Delaware

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Boukouris sounds like a bigger whiner than some of the posters on TS.com
    Get over it, already.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

grnberetcj......obviously you haven't been to New Orleans lately!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ahab...."reasonable people" don't go to New Orleans!

Curt

7. mdk3280

mdk3280 TS Member

Hoosier and Ahab...

grnberetcj is a retired Delaware State Police Captain and US Army Green Beret who proudly served in VietNam. He's taken down plenty of bad guys, been shot in the line of duty and is quite capable of deciding when to carry a weapon. Besides, he is 6'4" tall and I always address him as Mr. Jones!

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

grnberetcj,,,,,R and R Saigon,,,,are you armed,,,,,same thing

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ah...Tudo (sp?) Street....

1966-67.

I'd rather be in old Saigon than New Orleans....better class of people!

Curt

10. M-16

M-16 TS Member

grnberetcj
    Email:
    Date: Wed, Nov 14, 2007 - 08:04 AM CT
    Website Address:

Ahab...."reasonable people" don't go to New Orleans!

If you read his statement he went their for a police chief convention.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

m-16- The next logical extension of your post would be - Police Chiefs are reasonable people. Do we want to go there?

Every larger metropolitan area has some very nice sections and some areas that are not very nice. New Orleans is not an exception.

Pat Ireland

12. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Explain "decent people" to me. I worked for an airline for 37yrs .I can tell you about decent people working there. Its just a few like anything else .
    We had a chain of comand on firearms last to load first off. NEVER A problem.If you want to cut theft in any job Pay the people right

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

"If you want to cut theft in any job Pay the people right"
    BULLSH_T. Either you are honest or you are not. How much a person gets paid has absolutely nothing to do with being honest. Better screening of the employees seems to be the root of this problem.

14. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Well when you see you pay cut and benifits cut in half and exec.pay double that does lead to some dishonestey. But I WAS SPEAKING OF MY EXPERIENCE!! If you have 30plus yrs of airline experience PLEASE by all means speak up HOGGY !!If you dont then shut your trap !!