1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun/Stock fit is OVERrated. LOL

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

THIS THREAD IS FOR FUN ONLY. Don't take it too seriously.

This morning, while I was shooting, the after market adjustable comb came loose after the first shot.

It was set at dead center at lowest drop and I had ran a couple 75 & 100 with it before.

Couple more shots later, it moved all the way loose on both posts, now I have no comb to put any pressure with my cheek to. I have to use the two beads on the rib to guide me since the comb will move to the far right, totally out of my comfort zone. My cheek was almost not touching the stock. But I ran straight with it.

Let me tell you now, "Stock fitting is OVERRATED." The English started this scam 100 years ago so they can sell their over priced shotguns.

*** Sorry, I didn't mean to offend all the custom stock makers on TS. You guys made some of the most beautiful stocks. Although I never had the pleasure to own one.

2. Steve W

BTW, we were betting lunch with this round as we did every Sunday. And the first thing I do after getting back from my winning lunch is to post this thread. :)

3. Steve W

Another BTW, I'm a very casual shooter, I'm not an ATA member, I'll never be an All American.:) Trap shooting is strictly a fun thing to do for Sunday (only) morning.

This stock I got it from the late PBB/Mike, came with a MX-8, I didn't have it made.

GOD I miss Mike.

4. 4painter

4painter Member

phil has the best finish on any stocks, i own one.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Steve it's called muscle memory. Your body remembers what was correct. The feeling won't last long....

6. Steve W

Thank you Rey, for sharing your experience with me. It's great.

I'm sure I was lucky, the wind was blowing the right direction, the birds all came out to where my barrel pointed. :)

BigM, You might be right. I'm not sure if I want to shoot next week with the moving comb again, it's a strange feeling.

However, I'd like to add one more thing, my normal shooting gun mount is light pressure on comb. I don't weld my cheek on the stock. Even on trap.

I shoot low gun in Sporting Clays, and Skeet. Just like Driven Birds, I bring gun up while I swing, I pull trigger when stock touches my cheek, so I'm used to low stock.

When I shoot trap, or pigeon, I have no problem seeing 1/4" or even 3/8" between two beads on my flat rib guns. Depend on the gun.

I think this makes me less prone to stock fit.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Steve, I had a similar thing happen to me.

I tried out a new Ljutic and the comb came loose along about the 10 shot and was sliding all over the place.

I still managed to only drop one bird and I did end up buying it.

Hauxfan!

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Stock fit may be over rated buy ya still gotta work harder when yer stock don't fit right...<center>
    View attachment 203002
    </center>

Keller

9. Steve W

Thank you Hauxfan for sharing first hand experience, I'd buy that gun too. :)

Keller, she is lucky it's a single strock Air rifle (reverse recoil). But girls usually can get away from lots of things as long as her bra fits.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Although that attire might be rough for winter league ...I vote we make it the standard uniform for all lady trapshooters : )

I experienced the same thing on the first Browning I bought with the current style factory comb...after it worked loose 3 times during my first flat of Super Handicaps it was gone off to be reworked for a conventional type adj unit

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

I dont think Ill bite on this one. Its late n im tired. Funny

Steve W thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.