1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun stock care

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

There are many different kinds of gun cleaners and/or lubricants around. I also have silicon cloth to use. But is any of these cleaners good for the wood stocks? I have high gloss guns as well as oil-based finishes.

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Don`t use any kind of oil!!!!!!!! It will leach into the wood and cause problems down the road. You can put a paste wax like used for a car on a urethane finish. A good bees wax for oil finished woods. Just for cleaning, warm water and dawn dish soap and a tooth brush. Larry

3. racer

racer TS Member

I only use liquid gold. A gun collector friend uses it on all guns. Dan

4. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I normally use Pledge furniture polish because it's quick and easy and does a good job. I have also used and like Johnson's paste wax.

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

I use hard paste furniture wax in my work and on my gun stocks. Johnson's is thinner, but it will work and clean since it's thinner. I use clear Butcher's bowling alley paste wax or look for a Carnuba based wax.

Get a 1 1/2" > 2" wide disposable paint brush. Cut the bristles to about 1" in length. Wipe down the stock first to clean it ( soft cloth). Dab the brush in and apply wax in all directions (circular is good) Let it dry ~10 minutes and give a light cleaning. After 1/2 hour or more, polish it up using a very soft cloth or a clean, soft shoe brush.

Careful with checkering. It's finished with oil such as linseed, wax may be used but you must clean it out right after application. If not you may have a build up. A stiffer clean shoe brush will help, or a clean toothbrush. I used Danish Oil in Walnut lightly t to clean every year or so.

I also apply these waxes on all open stock areas such as the end behind the recoil pad, stock bolt hole, receiver end etc. Don't forget to wax when you remove the fore-end iron. I have also used urethane or spar varnish on the concealed areas. They can sometimes stick later on.

JT

6. Franktri

Franktri Member

All responses, I assume, were for glossy stocks. Do I still use the same polishes on the flat (oil finish, I think). Or do I use a tung oil type on these?

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I use furniture wax on my glossy stocks and forearms.....a quick wipe to get the sweat and other elements off of the wood.

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Try Honda Motorcycle Cleaner. Sprays on like Pledge. Does a good job of taking off fingermarks and sweaty handling marks, but it doesn't build up on the finish. Leaves a nice shine. About $10.00 at Honda motorcycle dealers.

9. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Howard Feed-N-Wax for oil finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

furniture polish to gloss gun stocks

gun stock care
is bees wax good for gun stocks
is bees wax ok for gun stock
shotgun stock and forearm care
shotgun stock care stock care