1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Socks ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by setool, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. setool

setool Member

Just wondering... After reading a post on using dehumidifier's in safes, has anyone ever had any problems using only the silicone impregnated gun socks for rust prevention ???

I cannot get power to my safe, therefore I have only used the socks and the silica gel cans. No rust problems as of yet, and this safe is in my finished basement.

Mark Schneider

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use only SackUps in my gun safe... Each gun was lightly oiled prior to storage... safe is in a cooler basement level, never an issue and I do check on all of them from time to time... especially my Superposed and they are pre-disposed to flash rust in the chambers...

Jay

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I am same as spitter

4. claybreaker808

claybreaker808 Member

Remington makes a re-usable dehumidifier for around $25 at Cabelas. Browning makes VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) socks that are impregnated with chemicals to prevent rust on guns in safes.

George

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Walmart has gun socks branded with the Winchester trade mark for $4.99.

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I also use thin socks in the gun safe, but stay away from the ones with a "foam rubber" material on the inside.

I had some of these, and caught these just in time as the foam was starting to react to the light oil on the guns, breaking down, and was sticking to the metal surfaces!!

All cloth are fine.

Danny

7. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Here is another little company that sells untreated gunsacks: Johnston Bros.
    www.siliconegungloths.com/

They have 52" for scoped and plain rifles (fits most 870s and 1100's with 30" bbls. they also have a longer one that Jaquas used to carry. These are cotton flannel. not treated but the same material as their silicone cloths but not brushed.

They make the imprinted silicone cloths for Perazzi, Blaser, Krieghoff, Alamo, DuPont/Krieghoff

The owner's name is Jack Lubbers and he can be reached at 800-257-2595 usually after 9:00am Eastern time. He is in Charleston,SC I think they are around $5.00 6:00 retail.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun socks walmart

shotgun socks forum