1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun show observation, yesterday

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Went to the Costa Mesa (Orange County, CA) gun show yesterday, probably the best one around here.

Couple things I noticed immediately,

1) There're no lines at the ammo venders. Couple months ago at the same show, they need security guards to direct traffic to those ammo venders, some were sold out by noon.

2) Ammo prices went down a little. Not much but noticeable, particularly some of the 9mm & 5.56s. Still plenty of stock at 4pm when I left.

3) The line was long for the primers.

4) The CA legal military style rifles were all over the show, price doubled from their counterparts in NV., way more lookers than buyers.

5) Still very, very few worth looking girls at the show (this remain unchanged, probably never will).

I think (hope) you would figured this (1 & 2) out by now.

Wonder if any of you went to the same show (or other gun shows) and observed the same thing?

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

When the prices at gun shows went up to the point I can buy it cheaper at a gun shop at home I stop going . I don,t pay 8 dollars to park and go in to spend money . I do miss the old days .

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Indy 1500 show is up to 10 bucks to get in, plus parking...and it's a junk show.

Ripoff.

4. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Many gun shows have gone "flea market"; sucks to pay $10 to get in and see tables filled with tennis shoes, sun glasses, cut glass, cheap jewelry, candy, etc. Bring back the old days!! Dick C.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF-99- Although I didn't see you it sounds as if you and I were at the same gun shows. The prices are less at many gun shops than at many gun shows. Reloading components are always cheaper at shoots than at gun shows.

Pat Ireland

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I went to a show at a rural fire house last weekend. Not much in the way of modern ammo there - a lot of ancient military stuff, though, and plenty of "black" guns and accessories. I did manage to buy three boxes of Remington 140-grain factory loads in 7mm STW, a cartridge that's rapidly becoming an orphan, for my son for $20 a box.

Labor Day weekend brings with it the best gun show around here. It's far from the biggest but probably half the vendors are gun collectors selling some of their collection. At their spring show, I met a gentleman who owns over 100 Remington rifles, all NIB and the original tape on many of the boxes is still intact. I bought a brand new Model 700BDL/DM in .270 Win in the box from him at that show and look forward to their fall show in a few weeks.

Most of the large shows around here seem to be more for the "black" gun fans than those of us interested in modern firearms we just couldn't afford to purchase when we were younger, ammunition for them and reloading supplies.

Ed

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I have been very disappointed in the Allentown, PA gun shows.
    Same junk each time.

I did see a nice pistol at the Orange County show in New York a few years back.

Next day I sent the money to the New York dealer who sent the gun that day to my local New Jersey FFL.

The gun then sat at the New Jersey FFL for at least FOUR months until my New Jersey paperwork cleared and this was not my first gun in New Jersey. In NJ you need to get chief of police permission to buy a handgun in New Jersey and they purposefully sit on all applications.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Bushmaster1313, That's really terrible in NJ.

I thought California was bad.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

When I have absolutely nothing to do I will go to a "gun show" to watch IDIOTS trying to sell junk for new prices ( and more!). Then there are the "dealers" selling for full MSRP and more to "cover their costs"! Kind of like the WWF or whatever the fake wrestlers call it now! Makes you want to PUKE! IMHO it brings out the worst in the firearms world!

AndyH :-(

10. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

The gun shows here in the Chicagoland area have gotten so bad, I don't waste my time attending anymore. The same overpriced items seem to be at every show. Maybe the venders enjoy carrying the same stuff in and out for each show?

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I never could figure out how the vendors even covered the cost of the tables - except for maybe the last 8 months.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My take on gun shows is quite the opposite. If someone wants to try to get an inflated price for an item, more power to him - no one forces me to buy it and I've had success getting a seller to lower his asking price on something I would like to buy many times.

On the other hand, gun shows can be good shopping sites. As I mentioned above, even though the rest of the last show I attended was a bust for me, I found new factory ammo for a somewhat hard to find caliber, 7mm STW, for half or less than half the retail price. MidwayUSA sells the same ammo for $39.99 a box but it is unavailable right now with backorders not being accepted. The least expensive 7mm STW ammo they have is $48.99 a box and I paid $20.

I enjoy gun shows. Often, I see very nice guns that you won't usually find in gun shops, like the 6" Colt Python that a fellow I know was selling at that last show. It was in a Colt presentation box and included a set of Colt Custom Shop grips in addition to the standard ones and documentation that the action had been tuned by the Colt Custom Shop. The gun appeared to have been fired very little and had I wanted another Python, I would have considered the $1,200 asking price.

Some shows are good and some are not but I've never walked out of one telling myself that it was a waste of time.

Ed