1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Show Morons,Rude and Stupid People.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have been setting up at shows for 30 years. It was fun at first but now is work. In the beginning it was a hobby and everyone had fun. Now its a business to make money and not to have fun.

I had a guy come by who wanted to buy my used S+W 57 41 mag with a 6" barrel. To make a long story short he wanted to give me far less then I was willing to take and said that on the other side of the show they are $100 less new. I had enough and said then why are you here trying to buy my used gun? If you don't buy that new gun for that price then show me where it is and I will buy it. He walked away and the people around me said you did the right thing. I have seen him around and he does the samething at all the shows.

A guy wanted to buy a gun from me and we agreed on price and I then waited for him to get the money out of his pocket. He milled around then walked away. My friend who was with me looked at me with a puzzeled look and I did the same to him. Till this day we don't know what he was doing. I sold the gun to someone else later that day.

I had a Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga on the table. A guy was interester in trading. I said where is your table? I went with him and said I will take these two guns in trade. He said he wanted $100.00 boot. I said $50.00 he said $100.00. I had to try and we agreed. I gave him my gun the Fox and the agreed $100.00 boot. I then picked up the two guns and asked for the mag for one of the guns. He then looked at me and said I changed my mind. I told him its to late to do so the deal has been made. You took my gun and took my cash. If you didn't want to do the deal then you shouldn't have made the deal. My fault was that I didn't have a witness on my side. I almost walked away but I thought I had better not. Lets say I was not a nice person with him from there on out and I told as many people at the show as I could. I don't think he sold a thing from there on out. What an ass.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I quit going to gun shows quite some time ago. People milling about and repeadedly bumping into me without a single sorry/excuse me. It was hard to spend anytime at a single persons booth/table that had some descent stuff.

OTOH, I always got a kick out of the swastika wearin dude that always seem to accompany the gun show.

Search for Brian in Oregan's thread about gun shows (it's a little dated, but still relevant) as it is priceless.

ss

3. Auctioneer

Aprice, I have to agree with you. Some dealers are worst then the buyers.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It doesn't matter what business you're in with dealing with the public. It's all the same with the only difference being the product or service you are selling. I was in consumer bank lending for 35 years. The vast majority were good people but then there is that small percentage that make you want to retire yesterday. Where you have a product like you do there mostly window shoppers and 'wish book' lookers. You sound like me when I finally retired. Best of luck!

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As I said on that earlier thread, I enjoy gun shows. Yes, there are some rectal orifices on both sides of the counter at every one but I have found that most dealers are polite and just trying to sell some guns. I don't visit the "black gun" tables, so I can't comment on those folks but I see some strange looking dudes lurking on both sides of those displays.

Always remember that none of those tables have anything on them that you NEED - we go to gun shows, gun shops and Internet auction sites looking for things we WANT. Accordingly, walking away from the morons doesn't hurt a bit!

Ed

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The gun shows I go to around here are often very crowded but the vendors are always pleasant and for the most part the people who are in attendance are quite pleasant and considerate ... Cross Roads has two shows a year and they are always very well attended to the point of being over crowded but so are the jails, I can leave anytime I want and those who are in jail can't ... The shows are actually so big I have never been able to walk the entire show in one day to check it all out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That's one thing comforting about "non-black gun" tables, you'll NEVER "see some strange looking dudes lurking on both sides of those displays."

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about NEVER...:)

Ed

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Not uncommon at other than gun shows.

Everyone is a dealer of some sort. Rudeness prevails.

Not a bonafide collector to be found anywhere these days.

The ones I like are the guys that work you to a frazzle on something you think they would really like to keep, only to return to tell you how much they made selling it.

Like Senior Smoke says, Wouldn't you like to smack the crap out of em.

Regards....Gerald

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I went to a gun show. I used to go to them frequently, but found out, between the entrance fee, the hassle of looking around for hours to eventually find what you are looking for, and the fact that I almost NEVER got a price that was any better than buying off auctionarms or gunbroker, I quit going.

Not to mention, I had a hard time holding back my laughter at the grim-faced, fat a$$ para-military guys dressed like they just got back from a combat mission.

11. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Worse than anything is the personal hygiene of many of the attendees. Most gunshows smell like a cross between a barnyard and the Penn Central washrooms. Please take a shower, get a shave, wash your clothes and for chrissakes tuck in those pajamas...

12. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

oh...and cut off that greasy, grey little mini-pony tail.

13. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Gun Shows are not worth the hassle anymore. Prices are just about the same on gunbroker, this site and with the price of getting, parking, etc., not worth it to me. On the other hand, if you enjoy people watching, then that is the place to be. Don't think I have seen that much camo since I retired and of course, all were "in" country or someplace else but it was classified! lmao.... You can walk in the front door in shorts and a t-shirt and walk out later, a "real" war hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Van

14. Auctioneer

The good thing about the gun shows is the fact that you can look over the gun you are thinking of buying. You can't do that over the internet. Then the cost of getting and sending the gun is high.

I would love to get a place and have ONLY two shows a year. One in spring and the other in early fall. NO MILITARY JUNK. Vintage military guns are OK. NO CANDY, NO NAZI CRAP, NO JEWELRY, NO CAMO CLOTHS, NO ASSULT RIFLES, just standard guns and gun related items. I feel people are getting tired of junk they are seeing and having to weed through.

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

No beany babys, no 20 dollar swords, no glass art, no flea market crap... Now that would be a gun show. It just doesn't happen anymore.

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

One of the last of the good gun shows are the Tulsa, Oklahoma Wanamaker shows. You just need to have good shoes to cover the 4000+ tables. Not much junk at these gun shows.

DoubleAuto

17. Auctioneer

We have a group that is called VA GUN COLLECTORS. They have shows and if its not gun related they don't ask they tell you to take it off the table.

I have heard about the Tulsa show and I hope to go one day.

18. laura!

laura! Member

AverageEd, I disagree. I NEED a new gun! ;-)

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Aprice: You hit it on the head.

I am fairly versed in some areas of firearms and not very well in others. I have tried to ask questions and then some try and make you feel like a dumbass, at that point it's keep the SOB, I'll find it somewhere else, and just walk off and anyone I can, I tell what an a-hole the guy was.

20. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Auctioneer don't go to the Tulsa gun show you will not like it. The reason you will not like Tulsa is there are at least two vendors selling candy and other tasty snacks. How ever I like these vendors because after walking about 6 miles every day at the show I seem to like a snack.

Another reason you will not like Tulsa. Nazi crap. A number of dealers including our table are guilty of selling Nazi lugers,PPKs,P38s, rare daggars and other collectible items of that era. Some of the highest quality dealers and collectibles are at the Tulsa show. No good don't go.

Another reason. Couple of vendors selling jewlery. Not what I am looking for so I just walk on by there table.

Another reason not to go. Assault weapons. How dare any dealer selling assault weapons and accessories at the best gun show in the country. How ever these guys do great business.

If you had it your way there wouldn't be any gun shows it takes all kinds to make a good show. We have had the same table for a number of years both spring and fall and I have never complained about any type of vendor. We are all in this together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun show morons

rude people at gun shows

rude people at gunshows