1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun shooting to the left?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hey guys I patterened my gun the other day and found out that my gun is shooting to the left of the target. What do I do to fix that?

2. RonC

RonC TS Member

Pattern with full choke, 16 yds, look only at the target (dot the size of a 0.25 cent piece) 3 shots that should over lap. To move the poattern center 1" in the direction you want, move your stock 1/16th inch in the same direction (the Churchill mehtod). Hope you have an adjustable comb. Your shooting form also affects this. Hope this helps.

Ron

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How are you checking it? You need to check it from a rest (I go 13 yards). It is NOT unusual for a right hander to pull left at a stationary target if you are mounting the gun without a rest.

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If you have an adjustable comb, move it right. If you don't send it to Tron, then you will, and then be able to move it right.

5. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I patterned it at about 38 yards with a rest. Three shots overlapping and it patterend about 70/30 and about half the pattern was to the left.

6. Toddy

Toddy Member

Is it a Browning XT as I also have a left shooting XT that cannot be fixed unless I shave some of the comb and the comb is as far right as I can get it.

Reg. T., BC

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

>>>about half the pattern was to the left.<<<

As long as the other half was to the right of the aim point, I don't see what the problem is. Seems to me you would want about half the pattern to each side of the aim point.

Easystreet

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Actually, I have found that patterning from a rest can make the gun shoot left. I don't know why. Try standing at 13 yards and shoot at a dot that you come up on from 6 o"clock just as if were a straight from 3. Shoot when the bead hits the dot. The vertical movement will eliminate a lot of the horizontal wiggle.

This method will replicate your firing reaction as though you were shooting a target. I think you will find it instructive.

9. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thanks for the advice brooks, and what i meant by the pattern being half to the left was that once i took half that should be left i got another half of the patter over and that is what i meant by the pattern being to the left. Almost my whole pattern is to the left. There is probably about 5% of ym pattern to the right of the target.

10. stillhunter

stillhunter TS Member

I had an XT that did the same. Several people shot it and it was left for them also. Got rid of the factory chokes and replaced then with Briley Extended chokes. That solved the problem.

Mark.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, make sure your gun is shooting to the left. From a rest, shoot at least 5 shots at 5 different 13 yard targets. Ten shots may be better. Carefully align the center bead with the front sight. In this test, shoot the shotgun like a rifle. You will probably pull off around one out of five shots. Do not consider the shots that you jerk to the left or right.

If your gun shoots to the left with the sights lined up, moving the comb to the left or right will not help. Moving the comb laterally is useful to keep your eye aligned with the rib and front sight, but if they are already aligned, then there is nor reason to misalign them by moving the comb.

If your gun truly shoots to the left, you can have a custom choke tube made, bend the barrel or send the gun to a good barrel man.

Pat Ireland

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I do exactly as Pat suggests when I'm checking out a new gun (or a reworked one), except I do it at 20 yards. I find it much easier to see what is going on if I have a bit of an actual pattern as opposed to a large hole.

I had the same problem as you with my Beretta 682 Gold E combo. It turned out only 2 of the 6 choke tubes that came with the gun shot to the same POI. You'll have to determine if your choke tubes are a problem before you can determine anything else. Just put your tightest choke in any barrel and shoot from a rest until you can determine its POI. The do the same for every other choke you have, using the same barrel. It is important to use the same barrel when testing choke tubes, because if you put an eccentric choke in another barrel it won't line up the same way and the POI will be off in a different direction. Mark and discard the ones that shoot to different POIs. I replaced my bad tubes with Briley's (on sale at the time) and had no further problems.

Once you have known good chokes to work with you can determine if you have barrel problems (misalignment, choke bores off-axis, etc.).

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I disagree with Pat - a little. Moving the comb left and right will change you POI left and right as well. Who said the beads came aligned from the factory?

The gun has to shoot where you look - you're not aiming, you're pointing a shotgun. Remove the center bead or learn to recognize the offset between the center and front when you mont your gun (or have it moved to align). Once the gun is mounted, you shouldn't be worried about the beads anyway.

Custom chokes will work, but moving/removing the bead is a lot cheaper and just as effective.

Just my $.02.

Joe

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- If the mid bead is lined up with the front bead, moving the comb to the right or left will only cause them to become out of alignment.

I agree with you that you should not aim with the front bead, but checking the alignment between the mid bead and the front sight is useful now and then to make sure you are mounting the gun consistently.

Pat Ireland

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

its hard to get beads lined up exactly because of their size and the fact that there is no precise way to line them up--

Do the 13 yard pattern-- really 3 shots will tell you if you have a full choke in there

someone else might shoot your gun and it will line up dead center --

If after trying this method you sill arent happy= change the comb but realize you have to have the same pressure on the comb from the bench that you do when you are shooting from the line--

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've posted this before, but here you go again. This is a 391 project gun of mine that truly was shooting left. I bent the barrel and now it shoots perfectly straight (No, I do not offer this service. I only do my own guns and close friends).

Typical before pattern:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1314.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Bender:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1311.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1312.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Typical after pattern:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1316.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tron- That is the same way that the fine British SXS barrels are regulated except they do not have your fancy equipment.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun shoots left

how can you fix a shotgun that shoots to the left

how to fix a shotgun shooting left

my shotgun shoots left

my shotgun shoots left how can i fix this

shooting left of target

shooting to the left

shotgun shooting to the left