1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Shooting High

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blakester, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

How do I lower the POI if the gun does not have adjustable comb or rib? I'm having to hold at least a foot under the bird to break it I'm just not used to shooting that way . Any imformation would be appreciated ...... Ricky
    P.S. The gun is a Winchester 101 unsingle .

2. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

First, check to the POI on paper to see how high the gun really is shooting. Then if you're sure the gun is shooting too high, start shaving down the comb. Or, you could have the comb cut and adjustable hardware installed. When they cut the comb, wood will be removed, and with no spacers installed, your comb should be lower than it currently is.

~Michael

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What do you see when you look down the gun? What can be done, if anything, depends on that.

Neil

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Neil is right, if you are looking flat down the rib now, lowering the comb will not work. GOOD LUCK

5. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

It is a figure 8 when I look down the barrel I have always heard that a unsingle barrel shoots higher and don't get me wrong I don't want a gun to shoot flat. I like a 60/40 POI the best .

6. rrose

rrose TS Member

Ricky
    If you still had that NCP Beretta you would not have this problem,
    just kidding with you. I have that problem with a lot of guns. One fix I have found is with the add on ribs, it is easier to get a Keensites rib added with a new POI than sanding a refinishing the stock, especially if it does not have an adjustabale comb. But with the add on rib you may have to have an adjustable comb to get the comb high enough for you. I hope you get it dialed in soon and I look forward to seeing you and Blake sometime soon. How is he doing now days.
    randy

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

cut a 1/4" strip of wood - put it right behind the front bead and see what happens- shoot straightaways

8. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

send it to Moneymaker and have a adjustable rib put on it.

9. white rattler

white rattler Member

If your gun shoots to high try taking off your shoes and shooting barefoot. Trevor Dawe.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Is this a Diamond Grade with tubes?

11. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Yes it's a Diamond Grade with Choke tubes
    Rosebuster Where have you been so long I thought you fell off the earth (haha)
    Blake is doing great he's took on a growth spurt this winter he has grown about 6 inches and wearing a size 12 shoe and breaking in the low 90's now Thank the Lord.
    Now back to the gun problem. I can shoot this gun pretty well, like it is, until I get a brain laps, and forget to look under the bird, it just doesn't come automatic if you know what I mean . You guys keep diagnosing the problem I enjoy all the differant solutions. Ricky

12. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

A cheap and easy fix if to get of the magnetic fiber optic sights that sit on top of the rib, they are higher than a normal bead and will cause it to shoot lower.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I wonder how this gun shoots for you on Handicap?

If it does good for you in the back yard, getting used to the float on the 16 may be a good idea.

Before you do ANYTHING, verify POI using the Winston method.

If you are getting a Figure Eight now, dropping the comb very much will have you looking at the top lever. :^(

14. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I'm not aiming to start cutting on it. I'll probably just keep shooting it like it is. I have a fat cheek and that is the problem I have with a lot of guns I shoot , It would be the best if I would loose about 50 lbs. that would solve a lot of problems.

15. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

The magnetic "turkey bead" I'm talking about doesn't require any cutting or gunsmithing, it straddles the rib in front of the stock bead and is held on by magnets. They are pretty cheap at wal mart and just about any sporting goods store. I had a gun I was trying out that shot way high for me and put one on it and I could shoot it just fine, turned out I didn't like some other features on it so I didn't keep it but the magnetic sight let me hit some birds with it and find out.

16. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I'll try that I 've got one on my turkey gun . Thanks

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

This is common with these guns. A friend of mine in the early 80's bought a new one and it shot about 24 inches above point of aim. We then changed the name of the gun to "buzzard grade", and he found someone that wanted to own it and it was gone.

If you want to fix it right here is what I did with a Browning O/U that shot way to high for me, which was between 20 and 24 inches high.

I found out how much lower I wanted the gun to shoot by checking the Point of Impact at 20 yards. Lets say that it shoots 20 inches high @ 20 Yds and you want it to shoot 6 inches high @ 20 yds. I then talked to and then sent the gun to Tom Wilkinson in No. Carolina with instructions to add a delron rib to the top of the existing rib, He then epoxyied and screwed on the rib to the existing rib. Tom now did the math and machined the rear of the rib approx. 3/16 inch more than the front. I then added a custom stock with a adjustable comb, this gun now shoots between 3 inches and 9 inches high, depending on comb adjustment. Tom Wilkinson's Phone number is 1-919-603-0167. I would give him a call before doing anything to the gun.

When finished I had a lot of money in this gun. You might not want to go this route because of cost. I did and I still have this gun today and it is one of my best guns, it will never be sold. I also added Briley thin-wall flush mounted chokes to the barrels.

If you are on a budget ( arn't we all these days) I would advise getting rid of the gun and finding something else. Next time shoot and check POI before you buy.

Tom Strunk

18. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Just for fun, try a different choke tube and see where IT shoots. Not often, but sometimes the POI is different from one tube to another.

BB

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

blakestar, besides add on ribs and funky big beads, Briley can make special tubes for you to lower the POI. I believe the last ones I had made for anything were $65 apiece.

20. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Thanks guys I tryed the magnetic front add-on site this evening and it brought it down almost perfect that was the cheapest cure I've ever done to a gun
    Thanks Dednlost, Hope you guys have a good year ...... Ricky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun shooting high

gun shooting imformation

gun shoting high