1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun shooting 7" high @ 42' ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7" high @ 42

Bored yesterday & put my laser in the end of my gun. It indicated to me the gun is shooting 7" high @ 42'. My adjustable comb is as low as it can go. My adjustable rib is set @ 80/20. I can set it one notch lower to 70/30. If my gun is truly shooting 7" high at the mentioned distance what is the real percentage high it is shooting? Would my lowering the rib adjustment have any effect? In bring the percentage down.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Phil, don't think about that that percentage stuff; the thing you what to know is how high in distance.

But as far as I'm concerned, you don't know that yet, not for sure at least. There it shoots is where it shoots, not where the laser says it does. You next step is to find that out.

If the laser is telling the truth, you can expect it to shoot a couple of inches high at 13 yards off a rest. You can make it shoot lower _if_ you can still see the front sight when you move the rib, though I'm a bit confused about the direction you plan to adjust it. Lower? Or you sure?

Neil

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Neil,I will be raising the rib one notch. 1/16". The Rib will then be at its highest point (70/30)--My rib is 7/8" in the back & tapers to 5/16". There are 4 adj notches. The lowest being 100%.

Phil Berkowitz

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Are you saying 7" high at 42 feet? If so it should be close to 20" high at 40 yards if the laser is correct. I don't put much stock in laser sighting for POI. The only real way to know is to shoot the gun.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Using a laser is not always accurate.

If it is the chamber type, it's poosible for the chamber to be not true to the bore, cauusing the laser to point off-center of the bore.

6. Neil Winston

Gun shooting 7

I like raising it, Phil. But I also like the idea of testing it in the "real life" arena of shooting rather than putting my scores in the hands of a laser.

What kind of gun is it? Just curious.

Neil

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The laser is the type that goes in the mussel & the gun is an Infinity. Took a refresher, with Harlan last week & he said the gun points & shoots good.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Neil Winston

Gun shooting 7

Did he say that were shooting over the targets, more than under, for example? In other words, what are you after with this proposed change?

The Infinitys I've seen all have a good deal of pitch to the rib and the figures for rib-height you quote don't sound like the kind of POI you are quoting at all. By my calculations, it should be shooting _a lot_ higher than that.

Neil

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gun shooting 7

Phil- If your gun is shooting 7 " high at 42 yards, you are around a 70/30 pattern. Like Neil, I don't believe that describing the POI as a percentage is very accurate. Patterns are just too variable. I used to use a percentage to describe my POI. Then about 5 years ago I changed to using inches to describe the POI. Now, I believe the best descriptive terms for POI are: flat, a little high, medium high and very high.

Unless you are a top shooter, you could change your POI a few inches between every shot and never know the difference.

I would test the POI at 13 yards. Then I would shoot a few hundred handicap rounds. If you score well, leave it alone. If you don't score well, blame it on your POI and move the rib a notch. That might improve your confidence.

Pat Ireland

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Gun shooting 7

Phil Berkowitz the laser will only give you an idea of where it will shoot, it will get you on the paper and that is all it will do, The Barrell has it's own merits and you need to pattern it off a rest at 42 yards. Draw a wide flat line
    with a Black permanent marker and put a large round dot in the center above but on the line, have your sight picture you like to shoot with previously adjusted, and put the front bead in the center of the black bead you have drawn
    and shoot it 3 times then look at your pattern, you could try one shot first if you have a steady rest. Use the load you normally shoot. Then measure to the center of the pattern from the center of the bead you drew on the line.

Set your rib to shoot where you think the pattern shoud be, Keep this pattern paper. Shoot the gun at 25 targets and see what your results are. If you are centering the target, leave it alone.

Also put the trap on straight-a-ways for this test.

You can have an expierenced shooter watch your breaks or you can make a mental note of them. Target breaking up. POI is too low, Target breaking down and only getting small pieces it is too high.

Targets breaking down is not bad if breaking them good.

The important thing is to keep the pattern paper that is breaking the target best, then you have a reference to check back on to see if POI has changed due to weight loss or weight gain Etc. Gun should mount the same way every time.

Neil is righton what he says this is just more information for you for fine tuning the POI.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Phil:
    why make trapshooting more difficult than it is already? retire the laser, take the gun to a patterning board, than go shoot it. if it hits the target with authority, let it be. i was once on 25 1/2 yards. i got all involved with the trivia of this sport and now stand on 20 yds and i can't get off. here is a very true but sad story. a good friend of mine saved up and purchased a k80 combo set. out of the box he shot a practice round, than signed up to shoot a state shoot 16 yd event. he ran 100 straight and hit the targets as hard as you could possibly hit them. he than purchased a laser, decided to also pattern the gun. on paper the gun 's pattern didn't look real good to him. i said leave it alone, you broke 100 stright. he sent the gun to a gunsmith for barrel work. when he got the gun back, he used the laser, also patterned the gun and he said "now the gun's patterned looked great". next ata event he shot a 84 in the 16 yd event. he got rid of that gun soon afterwards and lost a ton of money on the deal. "TRIVIA" this kind of stuff has ruined more guns and shooters alike. I know by first hand knowledge.
    steve balistreri

12. Neil Winston

Gun shooting 7

Gary's right, keeping the pattern paper - with written notes on it to tell you when, where, and so on, even what you wanted - will pay off in a month when you can't remember - no one can - just what you saw.

Since you are shooting, or at least considering, one ounce loads, you might want to shoot a single shot at each paper lest you be fooled into thinking they throw denser patterns than they really do.

By the way, Steve's account above is more common than than any of us would like. In fact, everyone who has shot for a long time will see himself in his story.

Neil

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Phil, your main concern with your new Infinity is where it shoots on clays for your personal timing to break a clay! Your gun is EXTREMELY quick in getting the shot out of the barrel! Forget your past favorite %s or inches high with most other shotguns. If I were in your shoes, I'd set a trap for straights from three, shoot from there and adjust till you annihilate clays. Once there, shoot from stations one and five to confirm the POI is right ((for you)) on angling targets. THEN put it on paper to have data to refer back to. This will save you untold time and frustrations with your quick gun! I'm surprised Harlan didn't tell you do this too?

Without knowing how fast you break a clay, no one can tell you how high or low it should be set for you for your optimal results. That, regardless of terms used whether its percentages or inches high or low.

Hap

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks guys-I'm vaporizing the targets, or a complete miss & this is with a Briley LM extended choke, using 1 oz of 81/2 @ 1200FPS. My only difficulty has been on hard rights from station 5. Harlan said , I was shooting over those targets. I'm going to try & open my stance more on station 5. I will definitly put a lot of targets on paper this weekend. Again thanks guys a world of info on this forum.

Phil Berkowitz

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Leave the gun and your stance alone. Have the trap boy raise the right hand targets. HMB

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gun shooting 7

Phil, how about station (ONE?) If your breaking those real good, then station five is mis-pointing the clay only, leave it alone for now? Could be more of a timing to the shot issue rather than POI. Hap

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Station one, perfect-on the nose & smoke.

Phil Berkowitz

18. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Gun shooting 7

Phil,
    You may find the problem with the targets to the right is generated by your right shoulder "falling back" as you move to the target. The shift in balance to the back foot will make the muzzle float and you'll shoot high. If it sounds like that could be the cause, lock the trap in on the angle and make a conscious effort to stay forward and in the gun. I think you might be pleased with the results. I had both hips replaced and I still don't think they got the muscles all tied back together in the right spots. I have a hard time with stability when moving to the right, do just what you described and fix it just like I described.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.