1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Shipping Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esetter, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

I've heard conflicting stories on the requirements to ship a gun. Here is my question. If a gun is registered in my name and I'm not an FFl, do I have to ship the gun from an FFL and to and FFL, or can I ship the gun myself to a person with an FFL?

2. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

yes you can alex KOtter

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

although not needed, If I am selling a gun. only did 2 times online. I let me Favorite FFL guy do it all for me. Just dropped off the gun with the info. He charged me 20bucks.

4. oz

oz Active Member

you need a signed copy of the FFL that you are sending your gun to. oz

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A few references...

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmshipping.htm

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You do not need a copy of the FFl belonging to the dealer you are sending it to. You can request one, and he may send it.

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

I did a little research and here is what I found:

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Shipping to California is a real pain. A non-licensee may ship to a dealer, but an out of state dealer must apply for and obtain a letter of permission from the state to ship to a dealer there. Most California dealers won't accept a gun from a non-licensee. CATCH 22?

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's my understanding, talking with a few shooters from CA, that it was the FFL dealers in CA that pushed for this legislation. They did not like losing sales to out-of-state dealers, or from private individuals transfering a sale through a dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.