1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Shipping Costs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tonygrz, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Hi Everyone,

Got a quick question. I've bought several guns from the more familiar gun auction sites. I'm wondering why the cost of shipping is so varied? I've bought a gun that shipped for a mere $15 to having to pay over $38 for one from a wholesaler. Some sellers say they have to send pistols/revolvers next day air and others will ship the same weapon for $20. Just wondering why the disparity in shipping costs. I avoid those with high shipping costs. I wonder if they're padding the costs to increase their profit. Oh well......

Thanks in advance.

Tony Garza

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If they ship handguns by Fedex or UPS and they tell them what they are shipping, the shippers usually require overnight shipping. I just shipped a 391 insured with USPS Priority and it cost $31.25.

If you are getting shipped for $15, they either have a special account with the shippers or they are guessing the cost and then eating the rest.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tony,

Yes some charge more because they want to recover the cost taken to box it up. Others just chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Another reason is the deal they get on shipping. Some of the smaller shops don't ship as many items therefor they aren't getting as good a deal on shipping. The shipping companies would like to make a few stops and pick up a lot at each one. It's quite a bit cheaper for the shipper.

ss

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Tony,

I have shipped a couple of trap guns recently with UPS. Generally the shipping charge was reasonable ($15 to $19). It's when you add the insurance that costs get out of hand. I have found that when shipping a gun of approx $2000 value, the insurance cost more than the shipping charge. If you do not already have a box it could easily cost $8 to $10 to have one made (UPS Store).

I recenly shipped just a barrel cross country (Fl to WA) by USPS Priority Mail. Same situation: Insurance cost more than the postage.

Help any???

Marc

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

many of the wholesalers only ship overnight and the dealer/customer has to pay the higher rate. Just cost me 30 dollars to get a gun from 100 miles away because of the overnight deal. nothing we can do.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Insurance is the big difference. I shipped a $600 BT for approx. $34 and shipped a K gun that cost me $77 with insurance. I do ship USPS priority shipping with cinfirmation. The insurance is definately the big difference. I usually add $40 for shipping, and if that amount is not used, I send the buyer a check for the difference. Bulge.

7. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

I checked with a local gun shop and they told me that some sellers don't say what's in the box (handgun) and just ship normally for a cheaper rate instead of overnight.

Tony G

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tony- I am sure some do ship that way. I suspect the chances of getting caught are not great. But, if one does get caught, the penalties can be severe. Remember, gun laws are usually only enforced against honest people. If you really forget that you have a gun in your baggage and try to get into an airport, you will have a major problem and a free place to sleep for a day or so. You will also have to buy another gun.

Pat Ireland

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have shipped a lot of both expensive Model 21's & cheap guns as of late. I shipped a M-12 2000 miles with $300 insurance for $14.76,Fedex. I shipped 5 M-42's 2000 miles in 1 box with $8800 ins.,wt 42# by USPS for $87. That is about $17.50 gun. Handguns from FFL to FFL can usually go for about $20-25 Fedex ground. By private party to a dealer/manufacturer/gunsmith figure $50 because a private party is very restricted on handgun method. The best ways I have found is cheaper items by Fedex using an easily aquired account & very expensive items by USPS Registered Mail. The dividing line for me is about $2000. I DO NOT use UPS if I can avoid them. They used to be the best,now they are the worst. You MUST package very well & carfully. I have gone to the extent of TRIPLE boxing $$$$$ items. I will double box even with a hard case.

10. pdq

pdq Member

I went through this last Friday shipping a shotgun in an Americase.

My first stop was FedEx. Because I do not have a FFL (but was shipping to an FFL holder) they required that I ship overnight. With insurance covering $5,000 it was going to be close to $180. That's not a typo.

They suggested I try a UPS store a few miles away. They didn't have the same restriction, but it was going to be $92 with insurance, but they couldn't accept it, I had to go through one of their regional service centers. I went there, but they were closed as part of the T-Day holiday.

So, I went to USPS. 2 day Priority shipping was about $25, but insurance added another $55 to the bill.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.