1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Shipping Boxes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Browning Citori Plus I plan on sending for rebuild. What have those of you who have done this done for a shipping box? I have the originaal box but that is not nearly strong enough. Make your own?

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

If you plan on shipping and trading a few guns. Got to uline.com. They have boxes of all shapes and sizes. Some are specially marked rifle/shotgun box. That is where I buy mine in quantities of 25.

Matt

3. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i have used the original box with a heavy duty slip sheet around it whit no problems

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Cabela's has a very good hard case. I put in the search box HARD GUN CASE. The case item number is QZ-226578. Its called CABELA'S BULLET PROFF TWO TAKEDOWN SHOTGUN CASE. When shipping it is a great case to have because of the carelessness of the shippers. I bought a gun and when it got to the FFL holder the barrel of the gun was sticking out of the box. I was not happy. The gun was OK BUT the worst could have happen. I now will ship my case to the person to ship the gun. The case has paid for its self 10 times. When you buy a shipping case keep the receipt. The reason is the first time I sent the case through UPS they beat the hell out of it. One peg leg was missing scratches all over the case and a fist size dent near the handle. They did not want to send someone out to expect the case but I forced the inssue. A lady came out and did her he haw and tried to say it was not them. I had all the shipping papers. She did not like that at all. Then she asked if I had the receipt. I pulled it out and gave it to her. He was not happy to see that paper at all. I proved the case was bought new and used just after I got it. They payed for the case. I still use the case and its a case that I will keep using when shipping a gun. Later in the years I worked for UPS during the holidays and I learned alot. THEY DO NOT READ A THING ON THE BOX. THEY DON'T CARE IF THEY BREAK SOMETHING. THEY WILL THROW ANY AND ALL BOXES. THEY DON'T CARE. Buy a good hard case and it will pay for its self.

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Call the local gun shop that you deal with. He/they should be able to supply you with a box.
    Mike Battista

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Large PVC pipe with foam padding stuffed in it around the gun works well, too. Secure PVC end caps onto it with duct tape and you're good to go. I got that idea from Stu Wright when I shipped a gun to him for work.

Ed

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great ideas. Thanks Dave

8. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

Several years ago I shipped a John Rigby bolt rifle to a noted gunsmith for
    restoration. It was packed in a hard case then placed in a box. We shipped
    all firearms by UPS at that time. The gunsmith reported to us that the stock
    had been broken in shipment and that we should notify UPS.

We did and a claims adjuster arrived at his shop in just a few days. The
    adjuster notified the UPS claims office that the claim was not valid since
    the gun was not shipped in an authorized container. The gun case didn't
    matter and the outside box didn't matter.

The ONLY authorized shipping carton is a DOT approved box. Look on the
    back of a shipping box and there will be label that certifies the box's
    strength. If it's not in a DOT shipping box no carrier is obligated to
    pay a claim for damages.

Hope this helps.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

You can get the cheaper hard plastic foam lined gun cases for about $15 Tape the latches and put in box that will fit snug[as said uline] and INSURE I sell a gun I add for case Its worth the extra money.

10. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

We have a local box factory close by me and they will make any size box you want. I typical box usually runs $3.00 to $6.00. They will also make a sleeve box for that box too , for a minumal fee.

11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

As stated, a box in a box works and U-Line has just about anysize DOT box you might need. What I do is to buy an outer box that is 3/4" larger all the way around than the inner box. Then I pad that 3/4" space with foam insulation that you can buy at home depot by the sheet. Just as important... insure the piss out of it and ship it through USPS, not UPS.

12. Grant Morgenstern

Grant Morgenstern TS Member

Cameron Packaging offers a good selection of gun shipping boxes.
    Just pack it like it's being dropped down a flight of steps !
    Grant Morgenstern

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.