1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun set up help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FE DOG, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

I can break nice scores for a beginner at 16 yards, 94's. Moving back only to the 19 my scores drop like a rock. 82 or so. My sight picture at 16, I seem to be right on or covering the bird. So should I adjust gun to shoot higher, to improve handicap scores and make site picture adjustment at 16 yards? At this little yardage differance I'm shooting the same 1 ounce load 7 1/2's 1200 fps.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Many folks have better results with a higher shooting gun, especially as you step back on the field.

If you raise your POI, you will quickly adapt to and thrive with the new 16 yard sight picture.

Generally, if you have to cover the bird at the 16, you are shooting a field gun POI.

Even the newer sporting and skeet guns have a POI higher than 50/50.

My skeet guns have a POI of 80/20. Dyed in the wool skeeters will roll their eyes, but as one who shoots most all disciplines, floating the bird works for me.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

My bet is that you are thinking that you must do something differently when you move back 3 yards. Consider that it takes a load of #8 roughly .140 sec to travel 40 yards to the target from the 16 at 1200 fps. Moving back 3 more yards adds about 1/100 of a second to the flight time from the 19 (.150 sec). From the 16 the shot from the same load will drop about 3.8 inches; moving back 3 yards adds maybe another inch.

Unless you're breaking targets with the extreme top right edge of your pattern from the 16, 3 yards is nothing. The difference between 16 yards and 19 yards doesn't exist for all practical purposes. If you find yourself covering targets from the 16, I'll bet that you're lifting your face off the stock when you move back 9 feet because you want to see the targets break. Raise your point of impact and shoot the same from both yardages.

Morgan

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

When I first shot at yardage, I got this advice. Dont change anything shoot as if your on the 16 see move to it kill it. Im sure you are jumpy. Thinking something is different. My hold point for the gun is about 12" above the house then my eyes are looking about 5' above the house. I call I see I move I shoot I follow through.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Capt. Morgan, are you sure about those "drop" numbers at the 16 and 19 yard lines?

"From the 16 the shot from the same load will drop about 3.8 inches; moving back 3 yards adds maybe another inch."

How much would the "drop" be at the 27? Or 30 yard mark? Hap

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Capt. Morgan, are you sure about those "drop" numbers at the 16 and 19 yard lines?"

From the 16 yard line, the kill distance to a target should be roughly 35 to 40 yards.

The chart I have in front of me lists the following drops for a 1200fps load of #8 shot:

30 yards -- 1.9 inches, 40 yards -- 3.8 inches, 50 yards -- 6.9 inches, 60 yards -- 11.3 inches

That should put the kill distance for a target shot from the 26 yard line out to about 55 yards where the drop should be on the order of 8 to 9 inches.

The charts are here: http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/shotgun_statistics.pdf

Morgan

7. Hap MecTweaks

Capn, I sent you a PM. Hap

8. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

Great info Guys. FYI I am shooting a BT99 with full choke, adjustable comb and an adjustable butt pad. Think I'll add one washer at a time, shoot that set up awhile and adjust if Ineed to. Would I be correct in thinking set up for yardage and adjust for 16? At what yardage should I be thinking about changing my load?

9. Hap MecTweaks

FE DOG, the info. you posted is only a part of what's needed to know.

"My sight picture at 16, I seem to be right on or covering the bird."

Where you actually shoot AT the bird in terms of distance away from the trap or you is very important also. Super quick shots need a higher impacting gun, USUALLY, not all but most. The speed of the vertical rise on the target up close make having a higher POI necessary.

Without knowing all the necessary particulars, raise the comb about an eighth inch and just shoot targets. Don't worry about changing loads and all that till you shoot from 30 yards or more, you'll be birds ahead guy! Hap

10. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Good info above. This is my experience: I set the trap for straight aways and shoot from the 16 yd line. I Raise the comb until I start shooting the tops off the targets on a consistent basis. Then I backoff the comb height until the targets smoke again. This has worked for me back to the 25 yd line.

11. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

Hap, 30 yards or more from where? I thought from 16 the target was over thirty yards? Sorry for my ignorance

12. Hap MecTweaks

FE, make that the 30 yard line! Hap

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

FE DOG, what hap meant was shooting from thrity yards behind the trap before it was time to worry about your load selection

Now for the dilema, have you patterned your gun to know what the POI is right-left top to bottom? Why I ask is the further one moves back the more of an effect an ill fitting gun or one that doesn't shoot correctly will have with your scoring. Three yards may not sound as much of a difference but without being able to view your hits and the way you move to the target amongst other factors its a start.

Many will tell you in this game that a mere 3 yards shouldn't make a difference and that nothing should be done differently but a look at ATA averages most generally reveals that there is a difference those said three yards have on many 19 yd. shooters... If your really into this game and have a chance to take a clinic (provided you can afford one)from one of the great coaches availble in this game, then invest the money and the result should be very enlightening :)

Capt. Morgan, so are you saying that most shooters break 16 yard targets at 35 to 40 yards from the trap and that 27 yarders are breaking their targets at 56 yards???

14. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

I have never patterned my gun.

15. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Capt. Morgan, so are you saying that most shooters break 16 yard targets at 35 to 40 yards from the trap and that 27 yarders are breaking their targets at 56 yards???"

No, from where they're standing.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
27 yard trap gun set up
how to get shot gun set up for trap

how to set up a trap gun

setting up a trap gun
setting up trap gun