1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Screwdriver Sets

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by hoosier, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Looking to get some screwdrivers for gun work. What are some real good brands and where would I be able to purchase them. Thanks, Hoosier

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10006/s_o=MostPopular+(Descending)/Products/Gunsmith-Tools-Supplies

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I bought a Brownells set about 10 years ago and added a few things such as Torx bits and could nt be happier. It is a little more money than some other brands but I am glad I made the choice. As of now, I have not broken or bent any of the bits and I use them probably several times a week.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Brownells Magna-Tip. Lifetime warranty. Call them and ask to speak to someone about their screwdriver sets. When they find out what guns your're going to be working on, they'll steer you right to the correct ones. Good luck.

5. Reinz

Reinz Member

Save time and money in the long run and go Brownells.

I bought the Super Set years ago that fits in the box.

Then I bought the Wheeler kit because it looked so comprehensive, I thought I would take it with me to shoots. Well, the Wheeler bits don't fit as well and I broke one the first time I used it. Theirs bits are too thick.

I sold the Wheeler, Bought a Brownells Gunsmith set for the shop and now take the Super Set with me to shoots.

Don't forget to buy the "thin bit" set, great for SKB's.

Good Luck

BTW - if you break a Brownells bit, they replace them free - just like Craftsman tools! Never had to in 30 years though.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Brownells are good! I use Craftsman Professional and grind the blades to fit when I can no longer use them I get a free replacement from Craftsman.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Buy Brownell's large kit and add the thin-bit add-on. The thin bits are brittle and you'll surely break them, so also pick up the round reshaping stone. When reshaping, keep the cut as short as possible for more strength.

Doug

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Doug, are there any machinist grade tools that you recommend?

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

Yeah, Brownells. Don't try to go cheap and get the Grace-type 6-driver starter set - they don't fit anything and they're soft.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Are we talking the Magna bits? or full size screwdrivers.

11. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I looked at a Wheeler kit the other day at my local Redneck Paradise (Sportsman's Warehouse). Most of the blade thickness on the straight bits were cockeyed, tapered from thick to thin.I passed. My Brownells set has served me very well for the last 15 years.

Pat

12. Reinz

Reinz Member

As far as Magna Bits or Full Screwdrivers from Brownells - it doesn't make any difference. Depends upon how much room is on your bench and or how much cash you can spare.

And to be blunt guys - you have Thousand$ invested in your guns. Why go skimp on junky tools like Wheeler or what's in your tool box and damage your scews or worse, slip and scratch your nice finish ?
    Spend $100,$200, $300, depending on how broad of a set you want and get something that will outlast you and your grandkids.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

That is why I asked about machinist grade tools. A professional machinist doesn't have a socket handle with a bunch of magnetic bits. He has a specific tool he uses for a specific purpose. Good machinists are some of the most methodical people I have ever met. They would rather order the correct tool and wait a week to get it, even if it takes 30 seconds to use. That is the difference between a well made part and a poorly made part.

14. Reinz

Reinz Member

I agree whole heartedly. However, gunsmiths and even us kitchen table guys that own over a hundred guns dont' have room on our bench or in our boxes for that many specialty tools. The Brownells magna tips are NOT your run of the mill socket magnet tip screwdrivers. These are the best you can buy backed by free replacement. Not cheap, worth every penny and they work very well.

On the other hand, if you are needing to take off one or two parts of your $$Big Bucks $$ shotgun every weekend, then by all means, those one or two specialty tools would be a great choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi gunsmith screwdriver set