1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun safety-Still learning

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hoot619, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Had to make a trip into deer camp. Took my pistol a CZ 52 7.62x25. While there heated steam bath and took one , took wood stove black pipe down for replacement,and also picked up chainsaw chaps and my copper flaring tools. Main reason for the trip.

When I got ready to leave I picked up mosquitoe jacket gloves and pistol in holster placed them in crook of arm. The pistol fell went off.

It scared the hell out of me. I checked for blood etc I was very fortunate all I got was hole in ceiling and probably roof.

I hope someone else can learn from this I know I did. My wife even said I was very fortunate lucky that God was watching over me.

I thought she would have been in tears that it missed me. Ha ha Ken U

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Ken,
    Have lots of guns. Hate to tell you but they don't just "go off". You pulled the trigger somehow plus it had to have had a loaded chamber. I carry a loaded glock in a holster all day. No manual safety & a loaded chamber & its never gone off. Remember the safety is b/t your ears.

Just reread that it was dropped. I agree with Don, have it looked at or don't carry with a loaded chamber.

Jimmy

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

DO NOT carry a gun that will discharge if dropped.

Have it checked out. Something is wrong.

Don Verna

4. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I already figured that out that something ain't right. They don't call me

the Finnish Genius just for the hell of it. It was on safe and shell in chamber.

I have always been taught to use the safety but never trust it. This sure as

hell tells me why you don't. It fell about 3 ft. It sure as hell cleared the

cobwebs up about how important gun safety is. Learned a good lesson on being lax

with gun safety. I'll be 69 on Father's Day ,have been around guns all my life.

I sure thanked my Higher Power for everything last night. Sometimes I need a

wake-up and that was a big one. Ken U Thanks for the comments!

5. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Bottom line is none of us can be too careful. Glad your still here to talk about it.
    Jimmy

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hoot:

I forgot to ask -- did your foot ever heal up from last year?

-Gary

[​IMG]

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most of the Com-Bloc pistols will fire if dropped. For example, the Tokarev pistol has no manual safety in its original form. One is crudely installed if imported here, and is even more likely to fire if dropped.

The CZ 52 is well made and strong, to allow using machine gun ammo, but like most crudely made arms, is best carried in Condition Three.

8. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Coach,
    About 20-25 yrs ago when the cheap surplus Chinese/communist guns flooded the market, I asked my uncle about the safety of these guns because most had thumb safety's retrofitted to them. He commented that there were so many people in China that the mentality was who cares if it kills a few that we have millions more. Of course he was joking, but I never had a Chinese pistol. In fact I'm kinda scared of them.
    Jimmy.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Hmmm! There's a number of new hand guns banned and can not be sold in California because they don't meet the drop test. You know where a person drops a loaded gun with the safety on and it goes off.........

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.