1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safety Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gross Man, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Most of us have carried a break open gun on our shoulder, or seen someone else doing this. I was taught that when you do this, you should always keep the barrel in front of you pointed in a safe direction, preferably down at the ground. A friend of mine thinks it is OK to have it pointing rearward because you know the action is open and the gun is empty. My concern is that when the barrel is facing rearward, you don't know where it is pointed. What do you all think? Thanx, Billy

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I prefer to see the barrel im front, more aware of where the barell is. With the stock hanging over your back you have less length swinging around out of sight. Open Action is good!

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I prefer carrying it with the barrels in front of me just seems safer

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Key word is that the receiver is open. I carry mine barrel forward wide open. The way my gun lays on my shoulder it pretty well points straight down. Once my gun leaves my shoulder i always know where she is pointed. I find more shooters without break-open guns to be a little more careless. Now i didn't say everyone that shoots one, i said more often they are the ones i see. I'm probably gonna get slammed now but thats my observation. Break-opens are just more obvious when they are safe.------<Matt>

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Is a closed gun pointing upward in a gunrack "safe?"

If the closed gun is pointing upward in the gunrack...and it somehow went off while a person was putting it into the rack or taking it out...wouldn't the resulting shot have to come down "somewhere?"

Final question...how many people have been shot on the gounds of the Grand American (4.5 million shots over 2 weeks...for 80 years)?

Hey, just wondering.

6. grntitan

I honestly think for the amount of shots fired in a year around the world ,and the very low accident rate, that it has to be one of the safest if not the safest sport in the world. I have no stats but you seldom hear of anything. I'm sure it happens though. I think for the most part shooting sports participants are very safety minded people.---Matt

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I do believe that the Grand has an unblemished safety record.....

8. grntitan

Frank C---Please knock on wood for us.LOL!! Matt

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

When you shoulder carry your open gun with the barrel pointing behind you while in amonst other shooters you'll see folks ducking to get away from you. Shouldn't do it.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Tell him you'd like to do a little experiment and need his help as the Guinea Pig, ask him if he'd like to be hit in the head with a piece of pipe or a 2X4.

I've seen both happen: 'pipe' (barrel - plus sharp edges) is a LOT worse than the 2X4 (stock) - blood and stitches rather than just a bruise...

I think he is missing this aspect of safety - not that the gun is loaded or not, but you may have about three feet of metal swinging around behind you over your shoulder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.