Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GUN SAFES

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  truthseeker 
#1 ·
Thinking of a new gun safe. Any experience with new models. Manual vs. electronic? Which brand and models are best? Source for best models? Best prices? Best source? All info appreciated. Thanks, G.E.G.

#2 ·
Wanderer:

It's greatly about budget. The best value I've gotten was my last purchase from Heritage Safes (corrected my earlier error). Their $800-$1000 safes are better than many $1300-$1600 ones.

Regarding the electronic lock, I was very skeptical for years. Why would anyone want to risk getting locked out of their own safe when a dumb lock malfunctions? Now I have one (S&G) and can't imagine going back to mechanical.

-Gary

PS: If you d a subject search for "gun safe" on this site, you'll find lots of good info on older posts.

#4 ·
I'll second the electronic lock. I bought a new Liberty "Franklin 50" in August of 2008 - it is my second safe with an electronic lock and I can't imagine trying to open a dial-type lock in poor light or in a hurry.

I will report one piece of bad news about Liberty. I spent two days at the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show this week and could not believe the finish on the Liberty safes on display there. Mine has the optional gloss finish and it is smooth as glass, as was the finish on every gloss Liberty I looked at before ordering mine. EVERY gloss Liberty at the show had orange peel - some were so bad that I would have refused my safe if it had arrived like that. We're talking REAL ugly orange peel. I pointed it out to a Liberty rep there and he told me that their American Security line has a nicer finish but even those at the show had more orange peel than mine.

He then showed me the new gloss textured finish they are pushing. It looks like their old textured finish with a coat of clear applied over it and it's really fugly. One advantage of the textured finish, aside from some cost savings, is that they don't show fingerprints like a glossy surface but that benefit is lost with a gloss textured finish. The Cannon safes on display next to the Libertys didn't have that orange peel problem and the Liberty rep didn't have an answer for that.

I also saw more metal finishing flaws and wavy metal under the paint than I ever saw on a Liberty. Apparently, they are experiencing some real problems with craftsmanship. The scary part is that you would think they would have their best work in a display at the world's largest sportsmen's show. If they did, what's the rest look like?

Ed

#6 ·
I bought a new Liberty Safe in 1998 to this day it has been very good no problems . I have the electronic Lock and have changed the batteries every year . I,s a Franklin 25 and not big enough . So I just bought one more the same as the first .

Delivey cost me $120.00 but it was 100 miles one way and they put it were I ask and did it very easily .

#15 ·
Fred, I didn't mean to infer that I was concerned about how fast I could get a gun in my hands - but why stand there for 10, 15, 20 seconds or more and fight with shadows when an electronic lock can be open in three seconds in almost any light?

Ed

#17 ·
Gary,

I shopped till I was blue in the face, Sam's Club has some really good safes, fire lined and at great prices ... I have a Buddy in the business (Lock smithing) and he bought two from over there ... I don't care for the digital lock because it will burn off in a fire where the dial if made of metal probably won't, but then again you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.