1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by spenwall50, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

I am looking for any opinions on which gun safes are the best buy. I am looking at mid sized safes (36 guns or so), which will give me room to grow. I have checked the major brands, all of which were under $2000. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think the "best buy" will be determined by your local dealers. For example, there is a gun shop in eastern Pennsylvania (where I bought mine) that does so much business in safes that he receives three (or more) truckloads every year from Liberty alone. That kind of buying power earns him lower pricing from the manufacturers. I found the highest prices to be at locksmiths.

I bought a Liberty Franklin 50 as it combined the most variety in sizes; I wanted a large one and bought a 50 cubic-foot one. That model also has a 75-minute fire rating and unless you live far from your local fire company or don't have a local fire company, that's sufficient. The more costly models have slightly nicer trim and longer fire ratings.

With gloss finish and an electronic lock, my safe listed for around $2,300 but cost me $1,836 three years ago; I'm sure they've gone up since then. The shop delivered it to my home 72 miles away and set it in place where I wanted it for an additional $200.

Ed

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Buy huge!!! Get the biggest one that you can fit in your house. I made the mistake of buying a mid-size one and now regret it since I can't get rid of it to buy a bigger one.

Liberty and Canon are the two big names.

I have a Big Horn from Costco and am very pleased with it for the price.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I think all the liberty safes are made in the usa. One piece of advice. Get as big of one as you can afford. You aren't going to get 36 guns into any safe rated for 36 guns unless they are all pistols.

5. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

i did manage to get 5 varmint rifles in a safe that advertises it will hold 15, but it was a tight fit, and they keep bumping into each other.

maybe i should take the shotguns out....i guess there's a gal in Oklahoma who knows what to do with a shotgun.

If you are in the SoCal area, there is at least one manufacturer here that you can buy from directly, and save some coin.

my 0.02 worth, anyway...

6. cp

cp TS Member

I think getting a electronic lock is the way to go, expecally if you are in a hurry. Change the batteries once a year with Copper Tops.
    Good Luck

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Fort Knox I think is a very well made safe. Cannon is second. As someone here said by bigger then you need. You will grow in to it faster then you think. Buy it so you grow in to it then buy it and load it and see that you already grew out of it.

Also do spend the money and have a crew who knows what they are doing put it in place. I know a couple of people who got broken bones from trying to do it themselves. The crew will have the tools and know how that we do not.

8. AveragEd

I'll second or third the suggestion of buying big - get as big a safe as you can afford and will fit where you want to put it. I started with a Cannon that was 22" deep, 27" wide and 60" tall with a 30-minute fire rating. In five years, I was safe-shopping again and now have this 29"x48"x72" one filled with long guns and can only buy handguns. In fact, I bought the unit that attaches to the inside of the safe door that holds numerous handguns. It also has pockets for magazines but I have the bolts from my bolt-action rifles in them. Bolt handles and scopes severely reduce the gun capacity of a safe - unless you only own iron-sighted pump and lever-actions, you will not get the number of guns for which the safe is rated inside.

Ed

9. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Yes what Ed said. You can't get as many guns as they are rated for. Bought a Liberty 39 gun and wish I had gotten bigger. I may have to just buy another , out of room.

10. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

Thanks for all the info. I will research them some more and perhaps save a while longer to buy bigger.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Good price, good size, good protection....hit the link.

12. build4u

build4u Member

I just bought a new Liberty Fat Boy. I do not know if it is the same with all the manufacturers but it will not hold anywhere near what it is rated for. For the sake of numbers they are designing interiors that do not work.
    I would deduct at least 10 for every 30 advertised. The front row which is set up for your long barreled shotguns will not keep a gun from falling out the door. There is no pitch on the floor tipping the gun back and the barrel rack is not set back enough for lean. An over and under or higher rib trap gun will fall out or at least tip out enough for it to fall over on the gun next to it. I barely caught my K-80 in time from falling completly out. I took Cedar shingles and built pitch under the floor for now. The dimensions do not work at all for four guns deep unless they are a pool cue. There is also no offset row to row for stock room. The guns are only 2 3/8" rib center to rib center apart. My 1984 Browning is 3.5" with the rows offset. A pair of 391s side by side (not a wide gun)the bolt handle is about an 1/8" of the gun next to it.
    My first go around with Customer service they told me they were aware of the problem and the engineers were working on a fix. it was kind of oh well and they would sell me the fabric to re do it myself for 12.00 a yard. I wanted to take it back but I was out 480.00 to get it down into my basement. The door would not come off like my Browning to decrease the weight. I would be out another 480.00 to take it back. First off my retailer was good in helping and if I would have gone to the mat I think they would possibly have helped with the return cost. My retailer (GM) called the rep to try and help but was not making headway so my second go around with customer service was way better (they had heard from the rep)and they sent me all the fabric and welting to rebuild it better. They also sent a new u shaped barrel shelf however it is way less capacity and you will have to give up the whole top shelf if you have barrels over 26",some 28s may work. I did van conversions in the 80s and am used to working with cloth and wood and have the tools to do it. It is still going to take a couple of days plus the wood and other materials I have to buy. I bought it on sale in a hurry which I usually do not do, and would reccomend looking at some other companies and test it with some of your long guns. I still would have returned it but it took five guys down a finished L turn stairs to get it down. I will sell it with the house and look hard at Fort Knox and Browning. Overall build quality was ok for the money but the interior design is bad. The 50/50 split flex interior instead of a 70/30 split is a big part of the problem. You will keep it a long time buy the best you can afford. David

13. AveragEd

David, the only problem I have with shotguns tipping are those with convex recoil pads (which is all I use), as the thick part of the pad is in the back (top of stock) and nothing touches the safe floor in the front. I solved the problem by obtaining a strip of plush carpeting in a color that matches my safe's interior and laying it along the floor against the front wall under the door opening. When you park six trap guns in there, you can't tell the extra layer of carpet is there but it gives some support on the thin area of the recoil pads, thus keeping the guns upright.

As far as other guns tipping or not fitting, there are two things you can try that work for me. First, remove the bolts from your bolt-action rifles. I own all Remingtons and they have the last four numbers of the rifle's serial number on the bolt body, so there's no concern about mixing them up. I'm sure other rifle manufacturers mark their bolts, too. Next, I agree about the alignment - the rows should be staggered but that would reduce the safe's capacity. I just set my rifles in at a slight left or right angle with the row behind them at a slight angle the other way. The stocks then clear each other.

When you're putting that many things in a small box, you gotta get creative!

Ed

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have a Liberty Washington. After seeing the inside of the door, I would buy a Browning if I had it to do over again. There is a big difference in the mechanisns of safe doors. Some are just junk.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

To one and all here. Do not store your ammo in the safe withyour guns. If a fire does happen the ammo in time will cook off. If that happens your guns and other things will be damaged and damaged badly. As the safe co for more info. They will tell you the same thing.

16. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

AverageEd - I store my guns muzzle down. That keep the oil running away from the wood and I do not have a balance problem. Well, I don't have a balance problem with the guns.

17. build4u

build4u Member

Ed, it is the loading handle on the bolts of my 391 Berettas and the 390s as well not a bolt rifle. The Liberty Fatboy is not little at 4 feet wide. My K-80 is a sporter, on my MX-2000 unsingle with rocker pad the high rib is the only thing that kept it from falling sideways. A single barrel 391 barely stayed in the barrel rest. The stock position to the barrel rest are to vertical. They (Liberty) are aware of the problem. My Browning Gold bought in 1984 has 2.5 inches of slope on the floor that forces the gun back. So much for modern technology. The Browning is 30 wide 24 deep and the Fatboy is 48 wide 30 deep. The Fatboy holds only about 5 guns more and 2 extra barrel sets over the Browning and in the Browning the guns were further apart. Browning rated at 15, Liberty at 30, I fit 20 and 2 barrel sets in the Liberty. The Browning is a 70/30 split and the Liberty is a 50/50. The Guns are further apart in my older small Treadlock. I am with Jerry I would look hard at some other major manufacturers and if they have a high capicity in a similar size box beware, even if you do not use all the slots it still does not lay the guns out right.

18. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Yes what Ed said. You can't get as many guns as they are rated for. Bought a Liberty 39 gun and wish I had gotten bigger. I may have to just buy another , out of room.

19. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

Thanks for all the info. I will research them some more and perhaps save a while longer to buy bigger.

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Good price, good size, good protection....hit the link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.