1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun safes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by atadams77, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atadams77

atadams77 Member

With all fire lately a fire proof gun safe is becoming more of a necessity. Anyone have a fire proof gun safe? Research, thoughts, likes, dislikes? There are so many brands and options, I'd like to hear opinions from those that have one and have researched them. thanks!

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

and floods! my next safe will have to float too. good luck with it

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you will find is that the various safes will have a fire resistance rating which is a measure of time that the safe insulation will protect the contents from reaching a damaging temperature. The higher the rating the greater the insulating effect and usually the greater the cost. So what you need to consider is where might the safe be located and how much time would it be exposed to fire if the worst case happened and your home burned to the ground. There really isn't anything to dislike about a safe with lots of insulation other than the cost and sometimes you trade some storage volume for insulation. The one thing you will hear from all the makers is that there is no such thing as a fire proof safe - its just various degrees of protection.

If you have your gun collection covered under your home insurance policy (and you should) ask your insurance agent what level of protection they reccomend and how that would effect your premiums.

4. twotimer

twotimer Member

77, I have an Heritage safe built in Grace Idaho. I've been very happy with it. I don't remember how fire proof it is, but it would take a lot to get it warm inside. It will NOT float!!! Mike

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Go To Tractor Supply And Check Out The "Wide Body" Safes They Carry. If I Remember right The Cannon Safe Co. Will REPLACE The Safe If there Is A Breakin or An Attempted Breakin And The Fire Resistance Rating Is The Same As A BROWNING Medallion. Something Like 30 minutes @ 1200 degrees. I Have (1) Of Each and Wish They were Both Cannon's. The Reason Browning Cost About 1995.00 --Cannon Cost 999.00 And It Is A "Wide Body" JMO But Cheaper This Time Is Just as Good. Browning DOES Have More Door Bolts. Also Cannon Replaces The Safe FREIGHT FREE To Your Curb. JOE W.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

+1 for Heritage.

Solid value.

-Gary

7. Chilly

Chilly Member

Look at superior gun safes. One of the few still made in the U.S.A.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Joe, There is a reason the Browning safe cost twice as much as a Cannon. Take the back off the doors and look at the construction and you will see why. Besides more door bolts it makes a difference what the door bolts are connected to and how it operates. Cheap safes are made cheap.

Superior Safe website is very vague about the locking mechanisn. Probably junk. Lots of well known safes aren't well made. They don't want you to know what is inside the door because they are embarrassed.

I have a Liberty. It is ok but it isn't the quality of a Browning. Fort Knox is another example of a well made safe with a superior locking mechanism.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A fireproff safe is only good for a short amount of time. After that everything in the safe will be burnt toast. How ever I have been told that you place the safe near a window that can be broken so a water hose can be placed on top of the safe. That way you can keep the safe cool and hope to prevent it to cook your things inside.

Also DO NOT PUT AMMO IN THE SAFE WITH YOUR GUNS. The reason I have seen a safe that was in a fire and the ammo cooked off inside. The guns and scopes didn't do to well with that happening.

10. kenf

kenf Active Member

After a lot of research, I ended up buying an AMSEC safe. They fill the inside body of the safe with a cement material to prevent a thief from beating the side of the safe in and prevents the interior from steaming up from the moisture coming out of the fireboard, plus the door is a 1/2" thick. The only safe built the same way is a Graffunder, and they are big money.

11. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I bought the AMSEC safe for the same reasons Kenf stated above. Great safe, really heavy and about the best fireproof safe you can get for the money. Although my safe weighed over 1400 lbs., I still bolted it to a concrete floor.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

According to a friend who is an accomplished locksmith ...there are two main things to consider when buying a safe!

1. Size that you need (then buy one a bit bigger ).

2. Fire rating!

Everything else is BS.

IF you bolt it to the floor AND wall studs ... a cheap safe is as good as an expensive one, excluding sheet metal rap that they call safes.

The average burglar will not tackle a safe, instead he will take cash, jewels, cameras, computers, etc. that he can quickly sell. On the other hand, a pro can open ANY safe!

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Ahab, It's hard to argue with that logic. The average burgler is a teenage kid. He may know who you are and what you have. Not being a safecraker, he will bring his buddy and they will peel a cheap safe open like a tin can.

I'm curious, how does a "pro" open a safe with an electronic dial and heavy hardplate behind it?

14. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Johnny, they never go thru the door but the sides. The next time you're in Cabela's or some other place with safes look at the back of the safe where there is a hole for an electrical cord to pass thru. You will be shocked at how thin the sides are.

If you can, place the safe in such a way so that a bad guy can't get to the sides.

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Unsingle , You are right, they may not attack the door. But if it is thin enough, they can get a door corner loose and peel it open like a sardine can. My safe has 3/16" sidewalls. Some sides are so thin an axe is all it would take to chop thru. On others, they will use long pry bars to spread the sides away from the door. Then just open the door. A long pry bar can exert tremendous leverage. Always put the safe in a tight area where they cannot work easily.

The Graffunder is a battleship.

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Yeah creeker, that is how it's done, how the pro's do it. Gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

17. loop02

loop02 Member

You take a hand grinder with a 6" cut off wheel. Cut around one side and 10" across the front and back where the sides meet the top. Score the top from front to back where the cuts end. Peel the top back like a can of sardines. Reach in and help yourself. Takes less than 5 min. You can have all the locking bolts you want, and locks too. That 3/16" plate cuts like butter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.