Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun Safe

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BIGbill 
#1 ·
I am thinking of a new gun safe. Probably like to hold 20 long guns and at least a dozen handguns

What do you guys think of the cabelas silver, gold, platinum series safe. The fire rating of 150 minutes for the platinum seems pretty good. Price seems reasonable for being installed.

I would appreciate your thoughts/experiences with gun safe purchase.

Thanks
Bill

#3 ·
I'll second that! I bought a 20-couple gun Cannon safe a few years ago that seemed big enough at the time but it seems to have shrunken, so I have a 50 cubic-foot Liberty on order.

Congrats for wanting to store your guns responsibly.

Ed

#4 ·
the Cabelas safes are made by either Liberty or Champion I believe. Buy larger than you think you need, it is VERY difficult to stack the guns in like cordwood and still have them accessible without having to remove them all to get to the back...

A long shotgun, say with 32 or 34" barrel will only fit thru holes in the top shelf, further limiting the handgun and other small valuables storage...

I have a Champion TT25, supposed to be rated for 25 guns, unless 12 of them are derringers I question the rating....

#5 ·
Agreed. Scoped bolt-action rifles, which is what I have the most of, are real safe hogs - they use up extra space in two directions unless you like scuffed wood from the checkered bolt knob of the one next to it. Removing the bolts does solve that problem and a portion of each rifle's serial number is usually etched onto its bolt so you can tell where each one belongs, but there's always that possibility of a senior moment resulting in the bolt being left "safely" at home.

Cannon's newer interiors are set up so the long guns can be alternated butt down and butt up, which increases the usable space. But bigger is better in terms of deterring a would-be thief from stealing the whole safe in the event you don't have it bolted down.

I've asked several safe manufacturers why they don't give more consideration to shotguns when they lay out their interiors. As Frank said, there are a limited number of spots in which a shotgun's added length will fit in most safes unless you buy a 72" high model as I am - then you can leave the slotted shelf out, still have one large shelf and be able to put shotguns anywhere.

Ed

#8 ·
I have a Silver series safe from Cabelas made by Liberty and I like it a lot it is very nice on the inside with lights and completely adjustable shelves, of which the middle shelves are removable for long gun storage. I don't know how you could ever fits as many guns in them as their rated for but it does have lots of storage. I would definetly recommend this safe to anyone. I don't think you get a whole lot more for the extra money in the platinum safes, they just look prettier and have a little longer fire rating.

#9 ·
Was interested in the longest fire time as possible as my house has plenty of kindling and our fire department is not the fastest to respond.

Will definitely secure to concrete floor in a manner that is overkill.

The gun box I have now is difficult to get the 34 inch barrels inside. Maybe the 72 inch would be a good idea.

I think I will get one that will hold 20 long guns, as I have 10 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.