Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun Safe (vault) maintenance. Do or don't?

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  X73JSA 
#1 ·
Was at a locksmith today getting some keys cut. I decide to inquire about maintenance on my gun safe, of course they recommended I do it every two years. Was wondering if anyone will back up those comments, I would think every 5 or so years would be fine. Has anyone had there safe done, if so what was involved. I was quoted $70 call out plus $65 for the work. If I can bring the door to them it's $65. I was told if the dial siezes it would cost min $400 for a safe technician, probably a scare tactic. Although would be a nightmare if I couldn't open the safe prior to a big shoot. Anybodys opinion would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I wasn't aware maintenance was needed! I have had a Cobalt gun safe for about 10 years now with no problems and no "maintenance". Also I have an old (about early 1900's) double door safe that came from an old bank and it still works just fine.

I think you are being "conned"! I fail to understand what could happen to a quality gun safe that would require "maintenance".

Allen-MX8

#3 ·
They are not conning you. Anything that has moving parts needs attention from time to time. But most S&G (sargent greenleaf) combination lock boxes that are used by most quality safe manufactors will tell you when somethings wrong and you WILL feel it and if ever it dont FEEL right have it checked. Until then dont worry about it. PS if you have one of those POS electronic lock boxes its going to fail its just a matter of time. With no warning. And I just started Locksmithing about 26 years ago.

#4 ·
Their is some maitance but you don't need them for it. lube the hinges, wipe oil on the dead bolts. You can remove the inside panel and lube the dead bolt hardware, and you can spray some silicon into the lock. I don't suggest pulling the lock cover as it will trip the dead bolt lock. Not hard to reset thou. I've redid some safes that were outside for over a year in the rain and one from a flood. I used brake cleaner to get the dirt film out of the lock, hinges and dead bolt slides. Lubed some with WD-40 and or silicon plus gun oil on the hinges. The flood safe all three dails inside wanted to turn with left and right rotation so they would never line up for the tumbler to fall into place. After cleaning and lubing never did anything more for over ten years still working fine

#6 ·
Thank you for the positive feed back, think I will pull the back cover of and clean and lube. If you do the math my dial has a circumfrance of 9"+/- and takes around 10 revolutions give or take to open, I probably open on average 3-4 times a week thats 30' of travel (metal on metal) per week, 1560 feet per year. The safe is around 15 years old which would come out to over 4 miles. Maybe it is time for a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.