1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe Value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Surveyor, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

I am trying to get a rough estimate value of this safe for my mother who is going to be selling it soon.
    It appears to be made by Yale, but the only sticker on it says Gunrunner, Grove, Ok.
    These pictures aren't much but from what I can see the interior is lined with carpet, not fireproof material, and looks like the back of the safe is just steel. It is 64" high by 32" wide and 16" deep. Adjustable shelving and so forth. As I recall, it is very thick steel, possibly fireproofing inside, but no fire rating sticker can be found.
    Made in 1997.
    Gimmie your thoughts please gentleman.

2. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thank you.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

It definitely worth a few hundred bucks IMO. You gotta get someone to take it out of there that is going to be the selling point.

4. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Remstar311,

You gotta get someone to take it out of there that is going to be the selling point.

What do I need to get out? What's the selling point?

Sorry I missed something there.

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Sent you a PM Surveyor.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Looks pretty heavy is what I mean. My wife bought me a nice fire proof safe that weight 600 something. Damn near died trying to get it into my house. Won't do that again.

7. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

You see my mother is executor of her father's estate and needs values on everything. I'm just trying to help her out in that pursuit.
    As to whether or not it will be sold is up to her and most likely at another time.
    I just don't know enough about it to fire off a value, but I thought as many of you gents that there are here, perhaps someone would have seen one like it before or know maybe even what it is.

And with guys like you fellas, you've seen enough sell that you probably have a better idea than me what it might go for.

Thanks to all who respond to this.
    Me and the boy gotta go shoot some birds before the sun goes down on us.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You would be very lucky to find anyone willing to pay much over $500.00 and move it to . I looks to be a nice old safe but if you damage the home moving it it,s no bargain .

If it were mine I would get protection from the person moving it . You don,t need four guys that don,t know what they are doing but two that do .

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

$500.00

10. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Pat, it's a Yale lock and key to release the lever that pulls back the bolts that lock into the frame from the door, both sides (hinge side too)

Alf, sounds like good advice, thanks.

Andy,
    Thank you sir.

11. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Check with some piano movers see how much they would charge to get it out of the house. Saving a buck aint worth hurting yourself or someone else. Kirk

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

If it's a key lock safe, it's probably not all that heavy and it's probably not worth much. A couple of guys with a good hand cart could probably move it with no trouble. Don't value it much over $200 if you are going to be taxed or penalized in any way for its value. Get some strong guy to attempt to tip it a bit. That will be a clue to its weight.

13. locdoc

locdoc Member

Keep the value LOW.........

Generally speaking the assessed value of this safe is combined with the rest of the estate for an overall value. The LAWYER handling the estate is often paid on a percentage basis of the total value of the estate. Something in the form of TAXES will probably be collected by the state of residence of your grand dad. Therefore the lower the total value of your grand dad's estate then the more $$ is available to the heirs. What the safe sells for later on is of no concern to anyone outside of the family.

I'm not a lawyer but was involved indirectly with both my inlaws' and my parents' estates when they passed.

$ 200.00 would seem to be a fair figure for an estate value.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist. and locksmith since 1969.

14. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thankyou gents.