1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe - Tin Walls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Unsingle, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Wow, I was looking at gun safes at Cabela's this morning, and noticed all of them (Liberty and Cannons) were built with either 12 or 10 gauge sheet metal lined with sheetrock (I presently own a small Cannon). I looked at the thickness of the metal at the dehumidifier hole, and it was really thin. I know I could drill a hole in the side, insert a saw and be in it within 3-5 minutes. Most of the doors were constructed the same way, but why go thru the door. I know it would prevent most drug addicts from getting in, but any burglar with brains could be in it in no time. Not real comfortable spending $2,500 for a thin metal box. Any suggestions.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

NO safe is burgular proof!
    A locksmith once told me that a 'pro' will open any safe...it is just a matter how hard do you want to make it for him.

A tin can safe will stop almost all burgulars...except the ones that are out for your guns. They will come with the proper equipment to open just about anything except a bank vault.

3. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

The worst things for safes, are the cordless tools. Imagine how fast one could cut into a safe with a Dewalt or Milwaukee cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel attached. Steve

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I talked to a guy last spring, when he was on a service call someone came up next to his locked van and cut out the side panel and took all his power tools and test gear.

HM

5. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Unlucky fellow who lived in my area had a large collection in a safe. He went on vacation and when he retuned the rats had brought a tow truck in, hooked the cable around the safe and drug it through a window takeing a large portion of the wall with it. If they want em they will figure a way to get em......Roger

6. tencows

tencows Member

We must remember that locks, gun safes and home alarms only keep out honest people. These safeguards are only an inconvenience to thieves that want something. Dennis B. Groce SC SCTP Director

7. busstuf

busstuf Member

Buy a Graffunder and will not worry about tin walls!! Nothing else comes close.

8. alpine

alpine TS Member

To keep safes from being pushed over they should be bolted to the floor. As stated above the locks just keep the honest people out. the 5/8" drywall is for the fire rating, and the other reason to have a gun safe. If you get a 20 minute fire rated safe most fires are out in 15 minutes, and it could save your guns.

The only problem I have run into is that that they seem to shrink with time. After a period of time I have more guns than will fit into a safe that seemed to be huge a short time ago.

9. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

If you look most every so called gun safe it is in reality a "Residential Security Container" because they do not meet the min. specs. to be listed as a U.L. approved safe.

Look at your U.L. sticker and it will state "Residential Security Container" "GUN SAFE" If I am not mistaken a true safe must be at least 1/4" Hardened Steel for the outside shell to be listed as a safe and not a container.

Check out Brown Safe Manufacturing to see some true gun safes.

http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/gun_safes/gun_safes.htm

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I would go to the nearest welding shops to have a good safe custom built. Or, buy a welder, get the steel at the steel yard, have it cut, and assemble it yourself. Steve

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have an American Standard safe, a home security system, and a Glock close by all the time ... I figure if one don't get them one of the others will unless I'm not home and for that period of time I have really good insurance so I figure I got all the bases covered ... WPT ... (YAC) ...