1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe Recommendation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K005, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K005

K005 Member

I'm looking for a moderately priced gun safe, less than $1500. I read that all but the most expensive safes are made in China or major components are made in China, even Browning, Cannon, and Liberty. I was looking for a made in USA, but looks like I can't buy one. In searching the internet I found several names I never heard of, like Mesa, Mutual, Hollon (Republic) sold through valuesafe.com or gunsafes.com. Has anyone bought one of the brands above or purchased a safe through an internet company? Any recommendations? Thanks.
    Bob K.

2. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

LIBERTY. Made in America not China!!!! Lifetime Warranty....Can't go wrong...Where did you hear Liberty was made in China! FALSE!!!!

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

China-name Bighorn from Costco....huge safe, 90 min rating, works like a charm....WAY below your budget

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

go on gunbroker.com and have a look. I have a Cannon that I am very happy with.

JON

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Whatever brand you get, Buy one twice as big as you think you need. They seem to shrink after you get them home.

Jim

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Anybody bought a gun safe from John Deere...thier prices seem to be good.

8. K005

K005 Member

Found this on vaultandsafe,com:

"Gun safe manufacturing: I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one. China is the country of choice. Even the models that say "Made in the USA" are made in China. The box and bolts are made in China and shipped to California where they put on the lock and a liner and call it "Made in the USA". Cannon, American Security, Browning, Liberty, and others are all made in some form in China. Though they may make a very high end model here in the USA. You will be paying $4,000 and up for these units. The strange thing too is that no other country really makes gun safes. Just China. Don't be heart broken its a fact of life in the USA."

Believe me, I want to buy an American made safe. Maybe it's just this site's way to get you to buy their brand safe. That's one reason I asked for suggestions. Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the Liberty Colonial 36" wide, but then I saw some of those other brands with thicker sides and larger lock bolts.
    Bob K.

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

After a lot of research, I bought an AMSEC BF series. The walls are a little thinner than I would like 3/16" if I recall, but liner is poured in, not wall board, and the door on mine is 1/2" steel. The BF line is American made. My next step will be a vault door. I don't want to lose my guns.

I chose this safe over the Fort Knox, Liberty, and Cannons- not saying the Yeager series Ft. Knox aren't good, just I felt I got more for my money with the BF series.

There are several good threads on safes at thehighroad.com.

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

Can't remember the brand, but I bought my gunsafe at Home Depot. Was $900 and they loaded it into my truck. Took three of us to unload and place where I wanted it. Digital lock, key backup. All the safe I wanted or needed.

cap

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You might want to consider Heritage. It's very hard to beat their bang-for-buck in your price range. Friends who first saw mine thought cost nearly twice what it actually did.

JIM 101 gave wise advice on size. Learn from our mistakes.

-Gary

12. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I shopped for 3 months and looked at everything. Some were so cheesy I don't think they would keep a hard wind out. Some cost as much as my folks' first house.

I bought a Browning Select 34 cu ft. Racks that are perpendicular to the door make accessability much easier, and the storage on the door for frequently used stuff is a real plus. It also has a larger "pass through" area for longer guns.

My best advice, hire professionals to move it. Three buddies and a 12 pack is not the anwser.

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

K005,

If what you posted about the safes being made in China and assembled in the US is true, it is illegal. You cannot say that something was made in the US when it was just assembled here. I don't know how reliable that source is, but it isn't right. There are several safes made here in the US. The digital locks may be made in China, but everything else has to be made here to say that it's made in the US.

Not one to take anything at face value, I will inquire of these companies and see what they say.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

For those who are concerned with the finished weight of a gun safe you really should look to the Zanotti safes. They are uniquely designed to be shipped "knocked down" and assembled on site so you can take them into the house one piece at a time.

They don't have some of the beautiful automotive paint finishes on them so they aren't as pretty as the high end safes like Liberty. They are, however, every bit as secure and they are made in the US.

15. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

ljutic 73, I bought a 50 cubic ft.deluxe edition john deere safe and love it. It's a monster with lots of room and has the pockets for more storage inside the door. I think it weighs over 1000 lbs. Hard to get in the house. It's actually a liberty safe with john deere logos.

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Just about any safe (except some lockers that are called safes) will stop a burglar! IF you lag bolt it to the wall and floor!

NO SAFE will stop a determined professional!

That that bit of advice is what a locksmith friend told me.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

National Security - Best safe available, a step above Liberty and beautiful too. I am considered very frugile and don't spend big dollars on many things. I popped for the best and bought the national Security in Colo Sprgs in 1994. In 1998 I upgraded to a bigger one, in 2000 the movers damaged it and I upgraded to one with gold trim. I would do it again. I just like to look at it and would never put thousands of dollars worth of guns and other things in a cheap looking safe. Yes it is fireproof and as secure as they come too

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe my Browning safe was made in Utah. Pretty basic, 30 gun no fire but does what I need. The glass front wooden cabinet holds the cheapies, the good stuff goes in the safe.

HM

19. GK Chesteron

GK Chesteron TS Member

Kodiak, built in California are excellent. My lock is an ILCO Unican which I've heard is chinese but they can put on any lock you specify(they are custom built)Prices were competative to the Liberty back when I bought mine. I'd imagine shipping could be a killer though depending on how far it has to travel. I visited a nearby USDA Forestry office and that is the brand safe they had so I figured that was good enough.

20. 4xFergi

4xFergi Member

Doesn't matter what brand safe you buy, it will be the best investment you ever make to protect your guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.