1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe Recc's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGbill, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Gun Safe Recc

I need a gun safe. I have 20k worth of guns, and some papers that I would like to keep safe from a house fire. What do you experts think I should get. I am willing to spend 5k to purchase/ship/install.

In future I will probably have maximum 100k in cash/valuables/etc inside.

Should I spend more?

Can I get protection from the 5k?

If so, what brand, weight, fire board, etc

Thanks in advance
    Bill

2. gramulin

gramulin TS Member

Take a look at these http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-HS-main.htm Pat

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You might consider sectioning off a piece of your house and making it a gun room. I don't know what a vault door would cost, but three layers of sheet rock on the walls should keep anything from burning up.

4. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

As Pat said above, you might look at American Security safes. You can buy a nice gun safe from them for $5,000. If I was going to have $100,000 in cash and valuables, I would look at a true heavy duty safe.

5. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

I've had The Presidential Model (#40) Liberty Safe & have been very satisfied with its capacity & sturdiness.
    See the link above.

6. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Take it from a Locksmith. With that kind of value you need to invest in a BROWN safe. They are the BEST....just remember the RULE!!! Ask yourself how long did it take to build this inventory and how much longer do you plan to live. Bigger is better and always cheaper now.....

7. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

You need to consider the weight of the safe and where you are going to put it.
    It may be better to buy two smaller safes than one large one. A good fire proof 30 gun safe will weigh 1200 lbs
    Scott

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

BIGbill:

Two things...

1. When I was looking at gun safes, a dealer shared the following advice:

"You have a mental list of things you want to secure in a safe - guns, cash, jewelry, etc. After you buy a safe, that list will grow as you will think of additional stuff. Whatever size safe you THINK you need, go bigger."

The dealer was right. Your list of things WILL in fact, expand. For example, I didn't think of important documents, non-replaceable photos, and family keepsakes with great sentimental but no economic value.

2. There's no such thing as a 'fireproof' safe. Some are fire resistant. Compare fire ratings of the various brands and buy one that provides quality protection from heat/fire as well as theft.

sissy

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Fort Knox safes are the best but they aren't cheap. The top Browning safes are also nice. There is a huge difference in the locking mechanisms of safes. Stay away from the low end models, $5K should get a good one. Make sure you get 3/16" sidewalls, many are 10ga.

10. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

G-SQUARED IS NOW LOCATED IN POST FALLS IDAHO!
    I've had an Amsec for years and am very happy with it. The Walls are made of solid concrete with "proprietary" steel chunks in it to glance off a drill bit. Total weight is over 4500 lbs empty, and I was told that it had a fire rating sufficient for LLoyds of London. Also, check out Brown Safe in San Marcos California (www.brownsafe.com). The owner is Fred Brown, a long time shooter here in the San Diego area, and the safes they make are top shelf! Last thought - seriously- Don't forget to bolt your safe down to the floor, especially if you are in an earthquake area. A mechanical engineer that I know explained to me that in an earthquake, even a 5000 lb object can roll around right thru walls like it was on ball bearings! Just food for thought.

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

This will sound radical but I've literally been in the middle of this, a good safe is essential but if you can afford it put in a sprinkler system or other active firefighting system to stop the fire before it gets going. It's expensive but more importantly protects you and your loved ones as well. A lot more family homes are going to this than you would think. We all have a lot of reloading components and ammo at our residences and believe me they will accelerate the burn, not explode but the responding fire units will treat your house like it is full of bombs if they learn there is ammo and gunpowder present and probably stand back and squirt water on it from a safe distance. I don't say this as anything against fire departments, I served as a full time fireman myself back in the 70's, it's the way they are trained. This is not the scenario most fireproof safes are built for, they are built to withstand the fire long enough until help gets there. Fires are unpredictable, a whole house full of combustible material may end up on top of and all around your safe burning for hours.

The next house I build will have a room built in with reinforced concrete all around including the top with a real safe door. Lined with sheet rock and constructed properly it will give good protection and have other uses as well.

While on this subject I have to mention the Sentry safe company. I had a small cube safe bought at a hardware store years ago to keep papers in when my house burned. Inside it was many important documents and valuables, much more than I ever intended to put in it. Anyway I was hospitalized a long time and when I finally got out my friends had dug this little safe out of the ruble. You could hardly recognize it, all the hardware on the outside was gone and it looked like a rusted hunk of junk. The door was still locked but was loose because most of the gasket was gone and the outside was warped. It had been subjected to much higher temperatures than designed for. I put off opening it for a few weeks because I just knew everything inside was burned up but finally got my crew to get it opened. To my surprise everything inside was perfect except for one small item that was made of plastic, it was melted. No paper was even brown on the edges!

A year or two later I was at the Shot show and noticed Sentry had a booth there so I walked over to thank them for building such a great product. They are really nice people and were very interested in my story. After I told it they asked for my address and then told me they were sending me a replacement safe free of charge!!! They apologized because they didn't make the same model any longer but replaced it with a newer and larger version. This was a safe I bought at a hardware store several years previous for about 40 bucks. So I recommend their products if they have anything that fits your needs.

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I would try www.sportsmansteelsafes.com They are located in Texas and Cali.
    American steel, cobra relockers, 2000 degree ceramic. Basically what ever you want. They sell both safes and vault doors. I agree with the others, a Safe room is better than a stand alone safe. Dave T.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bigbill where are you located - I have one of the best for sale if you live close enough to pick it up. It weighs 1200 lbs and made by National Security.

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Heritage Safe.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Pocatello's right -- Heritage makes a pretty darn good product and it's hard to get a better value. Some of their better models have a Class IV fire rating (90 minutes). $100K in a safe is still risky though, unless you also have some insurance coverage and/or a good monitored security system.

Most gun safes, however, even high-end ones, do not technically meet the industry definition of a "safe" (because they are too easily penetrable).

At my previous house I built a wall around my workshop in the basement, jogged it around the furnace, and added a closet and some built-in storage shelves. This geometry confused the eye and concealed the fact that my gun safe was hidden in the wall behind a false panel which had a hidden latch. The friends I showed it to were amazed that, even when I told them the safe was located in my basement, they could not find it. Safes are great, but stealth makes them better.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.