1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe...Not

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Gun safes are a little out of my price range these days. What would be the next best thing? I am not concerned about fire protection, just want a reasonably safe place for my collection. Limited space available.

thanks.

Bruce

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I know a guy that had a gun safe but for whatever reason a number of his guns were not in it. His house got broken into and alot of his personal possessions were stolen. The guns that were not in his safe were hidden under his wifes laundry on the floor of the laundry room, theives never even thought to look there.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Get an old refrigerator and put a big old hasp on it.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Get some thick oak boards say about 2 inches + and build what you need. Put all self tightning nuts and screws inside so they can not be worked out from outside. Use angle iron for all inside corners. Just find a saw mill and they will cut it for you. Just remember the lumber will be green. If you can find a reclaiming lumber co you can get dry lumber.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

This option would be good for hand guns; maybe they have developed a larger version for long guns by now?
    <center><a href='/uploads/unknown1_2009_05116.jpg'>Skid Mark Safe</a>
    </center>

MK

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Someday, I'll post a serious question on this forum and get serious answers. I can always hope...

But thanks to the serious ones.

capvan

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I recently bought a Liberty Centurion from Lowes for $700 and some change. I thought it a great value for the buck. Weighs about 500 lbs, no frills or fancy paint, but is well made.

You can also get metal locking gun cabinets from Wal-Mart (and others) in the $200 dollar range which works if your primary concern is keeping honest but curious hands away from your firearms.

Guy Babin

P.S. Lowes has a 0% payment plan if you need it.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

capvan,

If you know the construction of your house well, the look for a dead space in the design. I know some who have these "dead" spaces behind their closets and put a false wall door in.

Use a little bit of paneling to seal up the dead space area so that insulation and other debris don't fall in/on your guns.

Take care to inspect firearms regularly to prevent rust from forming. These areas aren't as enviornmentaly controlled as the rest of your living space.

ss

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

If you have access to your attic, that may be a good hiding place. Usually the ceiling joists are filled with insulation, who knows what could be under that? No offense intended if this answer is off topic.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm with Guy. If you can afford to make a good wooden "box" to house your guns, you can afford an entry-level safe. I see modestly priced ones for sale for $700 new and $500 used quite often.

Don't forget that the insurance premium on your collection (You DO have insurance on it, right?) will be lower if they are stored in a for-real safe instead of something homemade. I just purchased a new policy on our guns with $40,000 worth of coverage for $119 a year, so that's something to consider.

The first photo below was taken several years ago and shows the first safe I ever bought. It was 60" high, 27" wide and 24" deep (it looks smaller in the photo for some reason), I bought it new for $699 and sold it just over a year ago for about the same money. Find one with a dial-type lock instead of electronic and with a few scratches, and you're in the $500 neighborhood.

The second photo shows what you'll eventually find you need.

Ed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The earlier comment about a "gun cabinet" should be a consideration. Homak Manufacturing offered them in various colors for about $100-150, came with two round security locks (hollowed out keys). Homak left Chicago and I haven't seen their brand in years, but I believe Stack-On and others make similar models.

Then, there are the low end gun safes from Sentry for $350 +/-... you can see these at Sears, WalMart and Menards etc...

If your looking to keep inquisitive adults and children out, the cabinets will do that job quite well... but as you can imagine - you get what you pay for.

regards all,

jay

12. skeet100

skeet100 Member

look at a heavy duty job site type tool box...

might be an idea to look on want ad sites for a used one...a simple welding job could beef it up if needed...

13. GUOmaha

GUOmaha TS Member

Considering what you are putting in it $750.00-$1000.00 is not out of line!

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If you feel that a quality safe is beyond your budget; I feel that you should take into consideration the information "shortshucker" has provided. I am a firm believer in the old adage, "Out of sight, out of mind". What the intruder doesn't see, gives you some protection. False walls or utilizing the space between floor joist or as mentioned; ceiling joists is another consideration. I use this same concept when I have a gun in my vehicle. I have an SUV, which doesn't have a trunk. I don't leave anything that can be seen through the windows when leaving my vehicle unattended. Take an old blanket along and "hide" the gun, shells, etc. under this covering. It might just keep someone from breaking a window and stealing it. However, I would give strong consideration to what "Averaged" did. A good quality safe is a great investment to protect your valuables. Ed

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Funny thing about a safe is - you don't need one until you do, then It's too late.

I bought a nice 16 gun safe from Dicks for under $500, my cheapest gun is worth more than that. works for important papers, jewlry, cash, whatever.

What if a kid gets one of your unsafe guns and something happens?

Bottom line, you can't afford not to have a safe.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

sorry capvan; couldn't resist that one

The guns I use often are stored in an 8-gun Stack-On bolted to framing in the wall behind some clothes in a basement closet (the basement is dry).

The other long guns live in a pair of "cabinets" I concealed in the basement ceiling above thin insulation. I stapled some 3" faced insulation into 2 joist bays, one on either side of a heating duct (so they didn't look out of place) . But in each of them I built a simple hinge-down platform that hinges at one end out of the bays like a set of attic stairs. I covered each platform with the same insulation that's in the rest of the joist bay so that each bay simply looks like it's insulated from end to end. The guns at stored like they are on horizontal gun racks. No harm to the guns in 15 years.

MK

17. k newman

k newman TS Member

dicks black friday sale features a stackon elite fire safe for $399 after rebates. This is a fire safe, not the tin can type ones. It doesn't sound like my liberty when tapped on the side, but I'm thinking about one just for capacity.

Another nice thing they are doing - if you go into the store today or tomorrow, you can pre-order at the blackfriday price and pick it up -- no lines or fuss. The wife's already done this with a ping pong table for the nephews.

18. k newman

k newman TS Member

That dick's safe may be $299 - i can't remember right for sure. It was $300 off, and the rebate was $50.

19. shollz

shollz TS Member

That's what I did. The house I bought has a very big and dry basement that was unfinished. It did not have an outside entrance so getting a big safe down there was more of a chore than I wanted. So, when I finished the basement, I built a hidden room, that nobody can find. The room is 4ft x 9ft. I made a bookshelf that is wider than the door opening to the room. the base is on wheels which are hidden and the hinges are cabinet hinges.

The locking system is a battery backed RFID system that I threw together from some parts I bought online. The RFID card is in my wallet. You simply wave my wallet over a certain place on the wall, and the system beeps and unlocks the door latch. grab the shelf and open it like a normal door.

I have only shown it to close friends and my dad who helped construct it. It is not fireproof, but it is invisible.

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It sounds now that you want a Ferrari but can only afford a VW. Either buy a safe or make one. I know people who have made what they needed. Ugly as hell but useful.