1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe Lost Combination can't open

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Have a safe problem, Widow has gun safe that combination papers were thrown away by accident. Called the Manufacturer and gave them the serial number, told them circumstances, they said they only keep combinations one year. Was told to get safe company to open it.

They want $500.00 to $750.00 to open a safe that cost $800.00 new.

Is there anyone that knows of someone cheaper to open it?

Please e-mail me at above e-mail address, Location Columbus Ohio area.

She would like to get it open at a reasonable cost.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Why not call a local locksmith?

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I had the same problem on a large safe,I contacted a locksmith found his hourly wage o.k. he came in and listened and felt for the combo, once he opened it he reset the combo to my #s so I wont forget so eaisley I belive it was $75.00 per hr. maybe 3 yrs ago cost under $200.00
    opening the safe (pricless!)

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If you can borrow a Dr. stethoscope for a short time, you might be able to hear the lock bar drop into engagement if you turn it very slowly. Heck, it works for the thieves. Just for the heck of it, I tried a mechanic's stethoscope on my own safe and I could hear the lock bar engage, but I knew the numbers and was listening close when I got near them. Definitly cheaper then a locksmith and worth a try.

Big Jack

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Cheap safe?? I would have a local locksmith drill it (so they can see what they are doing) or if the safe is mounted in an accessable location I would just pry the darn thing open.

6. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

The solution to your problem is to Drill the lock. Take a large Drill bit and deill in the center of the lock. When you drill out the middle you can open the safe. You can order a new lock for about $75 to $100 dollars, They aren't hard to install if you get the same kind thats in your safe.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The local locksmith SLATERS Hdw in Lancaster wants the $500-$750 to open it. I found one that wants $250 to open it, I asked if that was going to be the total cost and he said yes. I have a friend that knows a retired SAFE man and he is trying to remember his name and will get back with me.

Drilling it out will be the last step, don't want to destroy the safe, but don't want to invest what they paid for it either.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

local lock smith, should take them minutes at a flaterate im sure.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The safe may have a relocker. Drilling through the lock or breaking it off and trying to punch in the remains will trip the relocker.

10. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

I've drilled several safes, All safes have a hole where the lock goes, there is a dial that turns with saft that has rings on it to hold it in. When you drill out the saft the lock falls out The lock is can be removed from the inside once your in, and a matching lock put in with a little work. The first one I did, I knew nothing about how to do it!It's really easy if you have a heavy dudy drill, or you can rent one. You should call the safe Company to get the cost of a lock.
    It real is a very easy think to do! To the guy that said it's the dumbest thing to do! I sure your just another expert that has no Idea what he's talking about!

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

So are you saying the only thing a theif needs to get into any gunsafe is a big drill? What good are safes than?

12. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Price to do it is not the safe's value but whats in it. If you can find a safe like it, and look at the inside that will show what will work or not. I've refurbished a few high quality bank safes, and if you just drill out the wheel their is a secondary lock mechisim that will go off. Most safes are simple to get into but location and how are the $$$. Not joking check U-tube for that brand. Also when checking locksmith prices use a diffrent story drop the widow one and it's empty and got locked. I've opened a few and watched a pro on a high quality one his hourly rate didn't matter he was so fast. You can save money if you take it to them but clear it first so they don't thinks it's stolen. Good luck

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my local locksmith only determined that I in deed owned the house and took copies of my licenses, try safe crackers association. years back they had safe cracking comps around here.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

this just came to me My safe is UL tested for 10min on theft. Check out the safes UL listings This means a skilled locksmith or theif could pick your lock in 10 min or less.

15. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I admit to having absolutely NO knowledge on this topic. A do have a tidbit of advice, however, to alleviate circumstances such as these.

As the world's most absent-minded individual, I am constantly forgetting or mis-placing things. I'm the guy who works on his car ; needs a tool, and by the time I get into the garage and the tool box -- forgets what I came in there for !! Frustrating........trust me.

I've made a folder on my PC that contains all pertinent information that I may need to retrieve at a later date. This list might include passwords or pin numbers to little-used websites, serial or model numbers of products, phone numbers, combinations, ETC.

When such a situation arises, I simply open my special folder, and ...voila'
    I have the necessary statistic right at my fingeretips.

I've named the folder simply "IDIOT". There is very little chance of anyone else opening that folder, even if they should gain access to my PC. lol. Also -- most of the entries are "coded" in some form, so only I know what they actually represent.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.savta.org/ Try above to find a good tech.

17. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Safes are worth their cost, but don't thing for a minute that they can't be broken into. A person comes to your home to rob you. Your door is locked, he breaks a window and he is in in 20 sec, or he kicks in your door an he is in in 20 sec. If he has the right tools and he finds your gun safe he can open it in 15 min. My point is that most people that rob you don't want your guns, they like the stuff which is easy, to take and sell! So a gun safe is going to be left alone, and since it may have a loaded gun or to that's a good thing, you don't want a guy walking aroud your house with a loaded gun. They also prevent gun accidents from young childern getting at your gun without you knowing it. Most lock smiths can pick simple safes in a few min., but its much cheaper to drill them and reinstall the locks if your not a lock smith.

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

How does the re-locker thing work? I have a safe and was told that if the lock is drilled then this bar falls down or something and locks all the door pins into place. Is this true?

19. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had a lock go bad on my Heritage safe, and called the company. They sent out a locksmith with instructions including a template showing precisely where to drill and it still took him about six hours over two days to get it open. I wonder about these claims that it only takes a burglar five minutes to get into a safe. Maybe for a WalMart special.

20. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Call the Department of Corrections in your area. See who's out on parole or work release.
    Mike Battista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to open armory gun safe lost combination

serial numbers to help open gun safe