1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun safe locked

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trappertom, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

Can't open the safe! Cannon is working with me but this is a bad feeling. The key pad is the problem and a locksmith is on the way. So far, great people to work with on the phone but did get some crap about the battery was not right. I always thought 9 volts was 9 volts but I'm not a electronics type! Let ya know how this ends, shoot, it's almost hunting season!

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Mine specify an Alkaline battery only. Jackie B.

3. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

Iwas told Duracell only with a date of 2016 only. Hard to find one?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What on Earth would the expiration date of the battery matter? That is scary if someone at Cannon actually told you that. I mean how the heck would safe know what date was on the battery? Hope you get it open but it don't sound like the manufacture is gonna be much help.

Good Luck.

5. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

They want him to use a fresh battery. Batteries drop off in voltage as they get older or start to deplete. Once the voltage drops below a particular point then the electronics no longer operate properly. It's common sense. Old lead acid and mercury batteries experience a quicker voltage decline. That's why they say use alkaline only. Sounds like this is a digital safe only, no dial.

Good luck

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I understand a fresh battery but wouldn't a new 2014 expiration date battery work equally as well?

7. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Yep, but It May have slightly depleted while sitting on the shelf so from the manufacturers point of view, the newer the battery the less the chance that they are talking to you on the phone trying to open your safe with a dead battery.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The simple solution to try is to put a new battery in- that is what a locksmith will do

Commercial institutions are advised to change the entire keypad out every 2 years

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My mechanical S&G worked just fine for the last 30 years. It will probably outlast me!

Jim Skeel

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Alkaline will work, but I would think that they would recommend a lithium battery, which is not lithium ion, and is not rechargeable. Twice the money, but longer high voltage life than an alkaline. I prefer to use lithium in outdoor pool controllers and garage door openers over alkaline, which don't last half as long.

11. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

The paperwork that came with my Cannon said Duracell only with at least a 3 yr. till expiration date & change once a year. I have tried 3 different types of batteries including Duracell & none last longer than 6 months.
    I am thinking about trying a lithium.

i_shoot

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

is it a s&g lock? cannon also uses some cheap, chinese locks on their safes, believe it or not. good luck with it

13. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

This is exactly why my safe has a mechanical dial combination lock.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

This is probably the 10th time I have heard about electronic key pad problems on safes. My old safe has a mechanical dial that has never failed. I am shopping for a new one. I don't know what kind I will buy, but it will not have an electronic Keypad.

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I go in and out of my vault everyday and it has a S&G key pad. The original battery lasted 5 yrs. As the battery weakened, the locking bar just started moving more slowly, it never just up and quit.

One thng to be sure of though, be sure the locking handle is fully closed. Any side pressure on the locking bar coming from the motor wil prevent the bar from moving. You can hear the motor groan, but the bat will not move.

Being very familiar with the workings inside, if the pad has failed, some destruction will be needed to open the safe, but it can be in a way as not to compremise the integrety of the safe.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have nothing but electronic locks on my safes and wouldn't have anything else.

Here's something to try, as it kept me out of my new Liberty a few years ago. Try holding the handle to the left or right while entering the code. My safe's lock linkage was e-v-e-r so slightly out of adjustment and was putting tension on the lock, preventing it from releasing. I left it like that, for it provides an obstacle for anyone who might learn my code.

Ed

17. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

It is an S&G digital lock. I have tried everything mentioned above with no luck. The Cannon people have been great and have a locksmith heasded my way. Thanks for the help! This is my first "real" safe and all will be well soon,just gotta have faith!

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Can you hear the motor run after you entered the code? I believe also you need two baterries...mine does. Also, with my lock, if a wrong code is entered 3 times, the keypad will shut down for 15 minutes.

19. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

I can't enter a code, no beeps or red light flashing. When I install a new battery I get one beep and one flash and then nothing. I also have #7 that seems to be stuck?

20. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Well, I admit I know nothing about electronic locks on safes.

I started working in commercial banks when I was 15 and then until I retired--total of over 50 years. My experience was only with mechanical dial locks. Some only 3 number combinations and a few as many as six and they always worked just fine.

However, we always had them serviced regularly and in some instances the combinations changed on a regular basis.

At one bank I worked at I had access to as many as six different safes/vaults all with different combinations. Believe it or not if I was asked about a particular safe I couldn't remember the combination but could walk up to it and work it!!

I guess bottom line I don't intend to have any electronic combination safes.

Allen