1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe Lock change to Digital

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leftex, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Has anyone changed their combination lock to a digital one? Where is a good source? My wife can't remember how many turns to turn the dial or which way to turn it.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Go to McMaster-Carr and type in the search box part no. 10235A43

They list for $181.00 and you should be able to install it yourself. It's a S&G lock.

I've had one on my vault for 3 yrs now and never had a problem. It's used everyday at least once, sometimes maybe 3-5 times a day. I like it because it runs on two 9 volt batteries and IF the batteries die, the code remains. I still haven't replaced the batteries in mine.

Doug

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

Thanks Doug, I think that is what I need. I didn't realize they are so pricey.
    Wayne

4. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Bought a S&G new off Ebay for 53.00 installed it my self in a Browning safe. Just operate it several times with the door open before you lock it shut, better safe than sorry. Changed to digital to make it easier for the wife also.

Jack

5. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Any safe dealer can get them for you. I had mine changed a few years ago and love it.

6. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

If you practice you can dail your safe open just as fast as digital. If you put a digital lock on your safe, it is not if it will fail, its WHEN.....I dont care who makes it. La guard, Sargent & Greenleaf or Mas Hamilton it dont matter. The failure rate is high. When those locks hit the market locksmiths all over cringed thinking we were not going to be changing safe combs anymore. We can't keep up with all the safes not opening. And LOVING every minute of it.......I can have the Best of Best digital locks on all my safes for practically nothing. And I refuse to have one. Main reason is when I want my gun. I want my gun.......

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I've replaced a couple of them. I got the S&G Computronic lock from Howard Sales. It's not too dificult to change most locks, but on one I had to fabricate a titainium spacer bar that the lock pushed in and out of position. Works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

change gun safe lock to digital