1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun safe lighting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My new safe is being delivered later this week (finally) and I'd like to install a strip of that "rope-type" lighting, for lack of a better descriptive, along the inside above the door. I've seen it around hot tub skirting and used to see in it custom vans. Any idea where I can buy some?

Also, if anyone needs a good "28-gun" safe that holds six shotguns and 12 bolt-action rifles with scopes very comfortably, I have one for sale.

Ed

2. gotbass

gotbass Member

Ed - Home Depot has it and I am sure that Lowes does as well. On the net take a look at http://www.oznium.com/retail-led-lighting they also have auto lights which you could run off a battery pack if you didn't want juice to your safe. Mike

3. Chzman

Chzman TS Member

I use one of those rope lights and keep it turned on all the time. I hope it makes just about the right amount of heat to help keep the relative humidity a bit lower in my gun safe. This should work just as well as some of the commercial heaters - don't you think?

4. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I installed flouresent lights around the inside of the door jamb. The single bulb units with covers over the bulbs, fit right in the "channel" around the door opening. I had to use a small piece of wood to wedge the light fixture in. These lights seem to throw more light than the rope lights, and they are not too expensive. I already had an electric dehumidifier in the safe, so I picked up power from it.

5. AveragEd

Chz, that's my idea. My safe is in a ground-floor room and the house has central air conditioning. I didn't have a dehumidifier in my old safe and never had any corrosion problems but thought I'd try something different this time.

One safe dealer I visited prior to ordering my new safe had one on display that had that rope lighting all around the door opening connected to a plunger switch similar to a door jamb switch on your car. I liked that but thought I'd just leave the light on all the time.

Rod, I'll look around for that type of lighting.

Ed

6. AveragEd

I found a Browning safe lighting kit at the dealer where I'm buying my safe. It fits all brands of safes so that's what I'll be installing when the safe arrives tomorrow morning (unless some of you tell me they are no good).

Ed

7. AveragEd

The safe I had for sale is sold.

Ed

8. boonedoggle

boonedoggle TS Member

I'm rather inclined to think that most any lighting suitable for home use would likely be safe for guns. Seems like it might be a good idea to avoid halogen and mercury vapor. ;-)

steve