1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe in the garage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Thinking of getting a gun safe. Only place at this time to put it would be in the garage. I live in Oregon, so we get all the weather from sunny and hot, to rainy and rainy to cold and some snow. Garage is attached to the house but not insulated in the roof and walls not attached.

The safe I'm currently looking at is fire rated at 30 min to 1 hour. It's small (59X21X18) but fits in the space I've allotted.

My biggest concern is moisture (unless you have suggestin for other things I should be concerned about). Would moisture be an issue and if it is any suggestions for dealing with it? Anything else I should be concerned about regarding a safe that will hold shotguns and shells?

Thanks
    Chuck

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Had a friend that had his in a car port in Florida. The whole neighborhood could see it. I was bolted down to the foundation of the house. He had a heater in it to keep moisture down. Never had a problem.

TB

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Definietely get a heater. In your case, given the humid environment, maybe two.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Chuck, I'm also an Oregano, Peoples Republic of Eugene. My safe was in a garage in Redding and is in the garage here now for 10 years. I have a "Golden Rod" that can be mounted in the safe and plugs into any outlet plus I maintain a "Dry-Z-Air" in the safe which soaks up an amazing amount of moisture, even in the "dry" months. That's assuming you consider any of our months "dry"! I haven't had one speck of rust or problems in either location so I'd recommend the Golden Rod (or a small light bulb) and the Dry-Z-Air as tried and proven....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

One tip, I toss every cylica jell pac i get into a small box in my safe. Along with a few other moister control product, the clay rocks, the small tubs of moister absorbing, and also the rechargable remington model. plus all my less frequently used shooters have the socks on them.

6. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I live in Barrie Ontario Canada. We get bone chilling - 35 F winters to the present 95F heat wave we are just experiencing for the second time this summer. We experience freezing rain, fog etc. If mother nature has it, we get it.

I have a steel gun cabinet bolted to the floor in the garage. I put it on a half inch piece of plywood. I keep a golden rod running in it all of the time and I keep 4 guns in the cabinet. So far, no problems and it's been 5 years.

The garage is attached to the house but it is not insulated. The back door is lockable and the rolling door is locked with a garage door opener. I also have it alarmed and monitored as is the rest of the house.

7. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I have a safe in the garage for 13 years with no problem. I placed a 40 watt light bulb in it and tied the safe into the house alarm. Good luck. Jack

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I too use a Golden rod in my safe that's in my garage (bolted to cement foundation). No problems here either. Seattle area.

9. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I kept a gun safe in my gararge here in FL... I just put a golden rod inside....never had any problems.

Jim C

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I have goldenrod planted outside of my garage where my safe is....Will that help? LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sure, Jerry, it will smell nice, eh?....Bob Dodd

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"what is wrong with the silica gel"

Nothing really. However, if your cabinet or safe is not very airtight, the desiccant material will not last very long before having to be regenerated. Some regenerate by putting them into the oven for a short time, others need to be replaced.

The heater requires no attention, other than to make sure it's plugged in, and occasionally check to see that it's still working.

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I shoot with an insurance agent. One of his client's had a large safe in his garage. It was NOT bolted to the floor but was strongly bolted to the wall of the garage. The robbers had done their homework as they had arrived with a big truck, lots of guys, and two chainsaws. They cut out the wall section attached to the safe and loaded the wall and safe into the truck. Police found the wall section later with the now opened safe still attached to it.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Omaha,

Just goes to show you, if someone wants your stuff bad enough, and they have enough time, manpower, determination, etc., they'll get it.

A safe is just a deterrent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.