1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe In Basement?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am considering putting a quality gun safe in my basement. It has quite a bit of moisture in the air. It can be pretty darn damp. We run a dehumidifier in basement non-stop. If I put a quality gun safe down there, and run a dehumidifier inside the safe.....will my guns rust? Thanks for any input.

2. mtneer88

mtneer88 Member

Woodson;

I have a gunsafe in my basement which is a walkout basement with moderate moisture. I run a dehumidifier as well and in my safe I have a goldenrod dehumidifier that sits in my safe and it has done a good job. I have zero rust on any of my guns.

thanks
    Mike

3. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Goldenrod :)

I have used one in my safe in my basement for at least 15 years, no problem. My dehumidifier is set to 60 percent. Doesn't run continuously and I have an old house with an unfinished basement.

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I will add....the basement is unfinished. I will be storing coins and guns.

5. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

One other thing you might do would be to set the safe up on something to avoid rust developing on the bottom of the safe. Most of the safes on the market are unfinished on the bottom, and will rust quickly if exposed to direct moisture. I recommend having a thick piece of plexi-glass cut the same size as the bottom of the safe, and then bolt the safe down through it into the floor with long lag bolts. Also, as chemist stated, even if you put a goldenrod in the safe, always have a box or two of silica beads in there as well in the event the goldenrod fails. Garrett

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

The above have all given good advice - I too have kept a safe in an un controlled environment in the south (hot and humid in the summer - and subject to freezing one day and warm humid the next day in winter-----which makes everything “sweat”) If you bolt the safe to the floor the Plexiglas is a good idea.......and if you could lay it down and put a couple coats of a good paint or polyurethane on the bottom that would even be better. If you don’t NEED to bolt it down, leave it on the pallet it comes on for air circulation. The golden rod and silica are essential-----and cook it out every once in a while with a light bulb.
    I would go one step farther on the comment about the oil…oil is good…use whatever rust preventive oil you want…BUT – in my experience, I have had better luck with a product called EZZOX for rust prevention…….just my 2 cents.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a DH in my basement and it stays about 45 to 50%. It works well. When you put your safe in put it on blocks so air can get under the safe. Also BOLT IT DOWN ALL 4 CORNERS. That way it doesn't WALK OFF. Cover the safe up and or windows so no one can see it from the outside. If they see it they might try to break in.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I set my safe on 2x4s and bolted it through the back to the basement wall with lags and lead shields. The backs of most safes are soft and easily drilled.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The two enemy's of guns,

Rust and Politicians!

Both need to be dealt with!

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Well-Known Member

Hey Matt. Stick a goldenrod in the safe and toss a couple dessicant bags for good measure and change them out periodically and keep running your dehumidifier and you will be fine. Some food for thought too.... as long as you have a fire safe, keep it up off of the floor at least 6 inches either on patio blocks or some other suitable sturdy objects. If your home ever does catch fire, the safe is already in the basement. It did not get there by falling through the floor after the house burned ruining all of the guns after it slams into the basement floor and maybe lands upright, but probably not. Second, when they put the fire out, the bottom of the safe won't be on the floor where all of the water ends up from the fire department because your sump pump is out because they cut the power to the house.

Jeff

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have a Cannon safe in it's second garage since 1980. This garage is in a very moist area of Wilamette Valley, Oregon. Inside the safe is a Golden Rod and a cheap, plastic collector of moisture called "Dri-Z-Air" that fills the tray with moisture at least once every month or two depending on the time of year. Totally exposed handguns and rifles, and my Trap guns in cases all show no signs of rust or any moisture issues......breakemall

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice!

Matt

13. Auctioneer

One more thing. Do not store ammo in the safe with the guns. If there is a fire the ammo just might go off because of heat. If that happens your guns are burnt toast. I have seen guns that had ammo in the safe after a fire. Not a pretty sight.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Matt: Any room for a walk-in vault? You'd be suprised to know that their not as expensive to build as you might think. Put the DH inside. Would be a fun project. Doors are available. What are you spending $2K, $3K plus on a safe? Buy a door for $1000 to $1,500 and the rest on building materials. Most people put in a $2K safe then fill it with guns, jewlry, coins, papers worth $50K and think that's fine. That math doesn't work for me. Dave T.

15. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

DTryknow,

I have thought about that also, but would prefer the regular safe instead of vault. Basically because I can move it if need be.

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

in hindsight, i'd also go the vault route. i've gone the good, better, best route in safes and i still don't have enough room. next time, i'll do a vault. a buddy of mine has a 12' x 18'. wow! imagine all that room! now that's the way to go. besides, a vault door is only the cost of a good safe and it's about three times as big and strong and thick as a safe door. good luck with it. oh, and to your point: no. your guns won't rust. put a golden rod in there. just make sure it's horizontal; that's how they work. btw, wouldn't a low hanging 50 cent, 25 watt light bulb do the the exact same thing as a 30 dollar, 25 watt golden rod?

17. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

I have a brand new GoldenRod 18" Dehumidifier that i can sell you for $20.00. It is still in its unopened packaging. It was too big for my small safe and I have been using the 12" size. They work great.

18. Auctioneer

I to have thought about a walk in vault. The door that I would buy would be a Fort Knox. It was a heavier door and had alot more bolts. It was also lower in price then Liberty door. Have your walls poured with rebar. Not to much will get through the wall.

Besides you can also look at how easy it is to get that one gun that want to take out and shoot. In a safe that gun will always be in the back so you have to take all the guns out to get it. That means you are knocking them around by doing so. A walk in safe you just walk in and pick that one gun up. Nothing gets banged around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
basement gun safe
can my hand gun rust being in the cold basement

gun safe in basement

gun storage in basement
keeping guns in basement
liberty safe basement installation
storing guns in basement
storing guns in the basement