1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN SAFE/HUMIDITY ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oldgahchamp, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I am wondering what some of you recommend for humidity in a gun safe. I received a gun safe for Christmas and am using the Browning "Dry Zone" moisture reducing desiccant. The humidity readings average 68-71 which in my opinion is too high. The safe is 23 cu ft and I am using 2 boxes of Dry Zone, each of which is good for 38 cu ft. Thanks for any suggestions, Larry Evans

2. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

i USE THE "Golden Rod". It is an electrical rod that keeps my humidity down in the safe. Tim

3. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

+1 on a Goldenrod. Install it and forget it.

K

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I use two Golden Rods, a 12" 12 watt in the upper storage space and 36" 38 watt in the main storage bay. My safe is in the garage which can get damp in the winter and I want to be certain no moisture intrudes. These two Golden Rods have been in service with no problems since 1981.

Another great invention from us kooks in California.

Surfer

5. psfive

psfive Member

+2 for the Golden Rods. Keeps the humidity at 43% in my safe. Paul In Nebraska.

6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

+3 on Golden Rod. I got no idea what the humidity is in my safe. It is in my basement in the deep South. No problems with rust or corrosion with Golden Rod, however. Actually, mine is a Remington branded product.

Mike

7. Rebel Sympathy

And another thought......

How is it that there are many, many Winchester Model 12's (as an example) from the 1930's and 1940's that are still in very high condition? They were in someone's houses for years with no A/C and no Golden Rod.... not to mention any of the "wonder wipes" on the market today.

Me thinks somebody knew how to care for his/her guns and they kept them wiped down with gun oil - or light machine oil. The point is this: Those guns survived what we would consider "primitive" conditions because somebody looked after them.

Just something to consider.

Mike

8. dead on 4

Reb,
    There are many more rusted and pitted guns from days of old than good clean ones.

My ex-wifes grandfather who lived in Indiana and owned a sweet Sixteen that was given to me. This pre 40's gun is an absolute cherry. He kept it in a lighted cedar lined cabinet that was in his living room. When I recived it, it had light coating of oil on the outside and petroleum jelly swabbed down the barrel.

It's always about care, we just approach it differently.

Surfer

9. Rebel Sympathy

I know what you mean dead on 4.... which was, basically, my point.

Specifically, even in primitive conditions, our forefathers were successful in keeping guns in nice condition - if that was their focus. And, therefore, how much easier for us today - if that is our focus.

Mike

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have seen this on a couple of Browning BSS from my gun cabinet and see it on a gun I currently have listed from a friend. For some reason rust developes where the barrels touch the felt. I don't know if it is adhesive, moisture, or what that causes this. I now put a light coat of gun grease on the metal in this area before I store a firarm for any extended period of time. I always put a light coat of oil on any metal after I use a gun. Call it overkill, but it gives me peace of mind. No suprises.

11. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

My storage area humidity runs averages about 35%-45%. Dan

12. DAS

DAS Member

Try this: www.drierite.com

13. dead on 4

When air is warmed in an enclosure it circulates causing moisture to evaporate. When air circulation is blocked by something like a another piece gun of metal such as the tang lever or between barrels, around the action on pump or automatic or touches something such as felt or some other material, moisture will collect causing rust or pitting. This is why its important to lightly oil these out of the way area's.

Surfer

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Golden Rod will work. I have two in my safe.

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I use a Golden Rod in my safe. No problems with rust at all.

Allen

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a question about this, I put my trap gun in the safe at the end of summer shooting, Took it out of the safe the other day maybe 5 months since it was last shot and the stock was loose, Surpised me but I went ahead and tightened it up. One of the guys at the range said the humidity must be alot different in my safe than outside causing the wood to swell, He said I should not have tightened it up because it may crack when spring comes and I start using it again. Any truth to this or not???

17. dead on 4

I would let it air out before cinching it down.

Surfer

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

50% to 60% year round is reasonable. a goldenrod isn't a dehumidifier. a dehumidifier removes moisture from the air. a goldenrod, like a light bulb, simply serves to circulate air by convection. unless your safe has a vent, you're just circulating damp air within your safe. good luck with it

19. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

Try putting a small pan of charcoal on the shelf or base of the safe. It works!!

20. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have my gun safe in my not so dry basement! I do have a dehumidifier in the basement set on 65%. I have nothing in my gun safe, in over 10 years not one spot of rust! Yes I keep them lightly oiled, I try to once a year clean and oil them but have went over two years without cleaning them and again I have never had a problem. JUST SAY-EN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.