1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe During Tornado

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unsingle, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I am concerned what would happen to my gun safe during a tornado. I live in Kansas, in a split level home. My safe is bolted to the concrete floor in the bottom floor of the house. It is an American Security safe and weights approximately 1600 lbs. loaded. It is in a corner with concrete walls on two sides. In a tornado, such as in Oklahoma, do you think the safe would survive the storm, or would it be ripped from the foundation? Does anyone have any experiences with a gun safe in a tornado? God bless all the storm victims.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't go anywhere but is it waterproof?

3. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

It probably is waterproof, and six inches off the floor. My back door is at ground level so the bottom floor would drain is not blocked by trash.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

It's possible that the safe would stay intact. Depends on how hard it lands.

There's no guarantee that it would stay bolted down.

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Bolt it down to a concrete floor with big bolts ..... your house may take off but your safe will stay put.

6. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

If I'm in your neighborhood during a tornado may I climb in?

7. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

its all ways a thought of mine, is what happens to the guns long and short, when housing debris is bull dozed into a common pile and hauled away, guns stored under beds in closets in the garaged, there have to be lots lost these ways. I know that the owners look for stuff best that they can. but what about the looters that walk around ect.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Living in Kansas, should an F5 tornado hit, your safe might be transported by air to the land of OZ, a long with Dorothy and Toto.

I just don't see anything withstanding a 300mph tornado. Hope it never happens.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on it - a big twister doesn't have much problem sucking a few cars out of garages. Got a basement?

10. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I think it will stay put. As long as the wind cant get under it The only thing that survived greensburg was the concrete grain elevater. Has a tornado ever took a concrete one down?

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Depends on the strength of the tornado.

The link has an example of an F4 carrying off a bolted down Liberty safe. It's not specified if it was a wood floor or a concrete floor, but it really does not matter if conventional anchoring methods are used.

And a 1600 lb safe is not going to be an issue for an F4 or F5, as picking up cars and trucks is not a problem for them.

As for the safe in question (Unsingle's), it's a plus that it is in a basement, bolted to a concrete floor, at the the corner of two concrete walls. That's probably the safest location possible, assuming these two walls are backed by earth (not exposed on the outside as in a daylight basement).

If the safe gets ripped out of such a situation, it may be a moot point to anyone seeking shelter in the basement, because if the safe gets torn out and carried off, they probably will be too.

12. Brian in Oregon

Some might find this link interesting. Especially the 8" thick concrete roof of a tornado shelter being snatched up and taken away.

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

As we have seen, about the only place safe is Underground.

Build yourself a "bunker" if worried about loosing your firearms, make sure you leave room for your family members and YOU first though!!

But then, what do you valve most?

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Usually the negative wind forces lift up, then the positive forces take over once the surface is exposed. Not much surface for how heavy a safe would be. Plus bolted to a concrete basement floor would help. I am thinking that once it blew over it would stay put, especially in the basement. Then again, that would be all that was left.

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

One of the most interesting photos I saw of the school was the one where all that's standing is a wall, with an attached bookshelf, and all the books are still sitting on the shelves neatly stacked.

Now how in the hell does that happen?

16. Brian in Oregon

Strange things happen in tornadoes. I remember as a kid seeing hay straw pushed through fence boards, sticking out on both sides. Tornadoes are rare in Oregon but they still happen from time to time. But the midwest "tornado alley" is something I don't miss. We had a tornado touch down then skip over our neighborhood in Omaha. And the sky afterwards was a very dark amber color. This was due to the dark clouds plus the huge amount of dust in the air. It was like wearing dark amber sunglasses.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'm waitin' for ansvel's response, before I make up my mind.

Bob Falfa

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Dude are you serious?

what would happen to your gun safe in a tornado?

mmmmm... I would think you would be more worried about your family than the damned gun safe. You saw them pictures, nothing was left of anything the Mf hit. that thing was straight from Hell.

F5 tornado would turn your 1000 pound safe into a 1000 pound pile driver.

not much to do but bend over and kiss your ass good by.

one possible way. I am front the northeast where we all have basements.

If you do, bolt it down in he corner of your basement so there really isn't anywhere for it to go. Or... put it in your shelter if its down through your basement but I have no idea where you all build them. i would think you would want it inside down below the basement so if you got like 20 seconds to get there you don't have to run through flak to get to it.

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

This does not answer you question but tornados can be selective. We had one that touched down and destroyed a few homes near me. My wooden shed was bolted to a concrete slab. It completely stripped the shed off the slab and carried it about a block away, but the lawn mower, wheel barrow, the tricycles, and all the other things were still setting on the slab almost exactly like I had them in the shed.

I would tend to believe that bolting your safe down would probably withstand almost anything. Good Luck

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is because the negative wind force sucked the shed off the foundation and left the tools inside. That is why some things can look untouched sitting right out in the open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hide in gun safe during tornado