1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun safe de-humidifer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stumpstalker, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

I have some bags of stuff in my safe to absorb moisture. Every few months I take them out, empty the bags into an aluminum tray and heat it in the oven to dry it. There is always a lot of dust and I would like to use something that is self contained. I know that there are electrically operated things to use, but I need something simple. Any suggestions?

Carmine

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

never used any device in my safe, guns been fine for many years? Do you live in a high humidity area?

3. farmallh

farmallh TS Member

Go to Cabela,s website and search for Goldenrod or google golden rod gun safe. that will show several places to purchase one. Worked in my gunsafe for over 25 years

4. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Ditto on thr Golden Rod. Have one in each of my safes and not a sign of rust on any of my firearms. Just figure which size you need. Dan

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I use the remington silica gel boxes. The heater to dry out the material is built into the box. Just plug it into a wall outlet for a while, the material will turn blue and you are good to go again.

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I have seen it suggested somewhere to get one of those curly Q fluorescent light bulbs that consume 13 or 15 watts and put it in your gun safe wired up of course. Total cost would be a lot less than the golden rod and provide some light.

tom

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I use a Golden Rod but also added a moisture collector called "Dri-Z-Air". The Dri-Z-Air fills a base with an amazing amount of moisture over a month or so and you need to dispose of the liquid and recharge the unit with pellets before putting it back in the room or safe. No problems for many, many years with this combination.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

8. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Golden Rod gets puablo's vote-keeps em in good shape!

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Golden Rod is the best. I have been using one for several years now in my safe and no signs of rust. Allen

10. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

I've had the same Golden Rod de-humidifier in my gun safe for over 8 years. Guns & cameras are rust & moisture free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.