1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe Comparisons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningGal, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I've been searching the archives for discussions on this topic and have been unsuccessful thus far. I'm looking for insight from those who have purchased and used the various brands of gun safes (Champion, Liberty, Heritage, Superior, Browning, etc). Points of interest are:

* Fire/flood protection
    * Open/removal service included for attempted break in, fire, or flood
    * Customer Service

So, what kind of safe do you have and how happy are you with it and the company behind it? Anybody have any experience dealing with Lone Star Gun Safes out of Houston?

All feedback appreciated. --BrowningGal (Jeri Brock)

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have a Fort Knox gun safe. I is a very nice safe and I am pleased with it. What I like best about the safe and the company is that if ever I decide to move I can call them up and they will relocate and reinstall my safe for free (as long as the move is local) that's a good deal when you are my age!

J.F.

3. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have been happy with a couple of National Security safes for twenty years or so. Both cover fire and breakin and they are nice enough to sit in any room as furniture. Wish I could get a paint job on my car like that for less than 10K

4. steele

steele TS Member

You would be hard pressed to find a safe better than Fort Knox. I have 2 Chuck Yeager models & just love them. I did alot of research before I bought them. Check the locking bar mechanisms inside the door (under the fabric cover panel)Alot of the safes I looked at had very poor machining/welding/fabricating of the opening/locking gear system to actuate the locking rods. Some looked like they cut them with a torch. The brackets for locating the rods were very rough, jagged, unpainted, & rusty. The FK units are all machined with teflon sleeves wherever the rods touch. The insides are finished as nice as the outside. The lock & rods systems move like silk. An added feature with FK, If someone damages it during a break-in attempt or if the safe is destroyed in a house fire, Fort Knox will replace or repair- no charge. Depending on where you put it, they offer furniture grade finishes, or like mine, for the basement, a grey crackle finish. Their fire rating is also the highest available. A little pricey compared to some of the cheaper ones. My house insurance also went down 5% with the safe. Check with your insurance agent, they might have a recommendation. Butch Novak

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

I own two Liberty safes and I'm very happy with them. They measure 42" wide by 72" high.

Andy

DSC_0028.jpg

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Look at the spec's of all the safes. I did and I found that the Fort Knox was the better safe. In weight, thickness, and everything else. Google what ever safe you are looking at and look at the spec's like I did.

7. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I've been using Zanotti Armor safes for close to 20 years.Well built,secure but the take down feature makes moving relatively easy.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you are looking for good gun safes, Fort Knox is the best choice, I have 3 of them, Executive line, do some research, you'll see the difference.

However, if you want something less expensive (much less), but with reasonable protections, check out what's available from Costco, they have good price, and free delivery.

Remember, a gun safe is for slowing down the burglar, not stopping the professionals. The quality of the safe determents how long they'll have to work on it to break in.

A safe technician can open your lost combination safe in a matter of couple minutes without ruin the safe. A burglar can break into your unbolt-down safe and ruin it in the same time frame.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Anybody bought a John Deere gun safe? Don't know who makes them for Deere but the price is certainly reasonable.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Most of the "name brand" safes are of good quality. I had a Cannon that I replaced with a larger Liberty very similar to the one on the left in Andy's photo above except mine has an electronic lock. I really don't see much difference in those two brands.

But how fast can the safe manufacturer get a technician to your home should you need one? My Liberty had a very slightly misadjusted linkage because the dealer converted a dial-lock safe to an electronic lock for me and had something ever-so-slightly out of adjustment. It wouldn't unlock for me with the door closed after I changed the code even though I had successfully tried it several times with the door open. I called Liberty and they dispatched a locksmith from five miles away who was there in a hour.

While waiting for him to arrive, I thought about what I was doing differently with the door shut. The only thing I could think of was that knowing I was going to lock and unlock it several times, I had my hand on the handle while I punched the code in, so I tried opening it with a hand on the handle and it unlocked! The misadjustment was so slight that without some pressure in the right direction, the lock wouldn't release. When the locksmith arrived, I told him to leave it alone - it is a second security measure in the event someone might learn my code.

That experience taught me to find out where the nearest locksmith who can perform warranty repairs on your safe is located before you buy one.

Ed

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like Forcebreak have a National Security and have had it for about 16 years. If I needed another I would buy the same thing again. And when it comes to looks it is for sure the best. As far as security it probably rates with the best or is the best. They are extremely expensive today

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

BFD:

I just brought one of the safes up from Florida. I made it a point to unload the safe from the trailer and slide it to it's place with the help of my wife. I dreaded having had to ask for help, fearing having someone spread rumors that I had guns in my safes.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg