1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun registration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Just got done reading my latest American Rifleman. In it is an article about gun registry. So, I'm confused. We say we don't have gun registration in this country. But, don't we register them when we first buy them? I mean, if there is paper work on a new gun isn't it plain to assume that 'big brother' has you on file?

2. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

NFA firearms (machine guns, sawed-off shotguns) are registered. All other arms are not federally registered. Some states have registries. A 4473 is not a technically a registry, but you are correct that Big Brother has you "on file" because of it.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When you purchase a gun in a state that does not have a state run version of NICS program, the instant background check is done by the feds. In this case BATF is given a certain amount of time to keep the record, and then, by law, the record is allegedly destroyed. I say allegedly because many suspect that (wink wink) backup databases are kept that are (wink wink) not overwritten. Given the propensity for BATF creating regulations out of thin air and even reversing themselves on decisions within months of issuance, many do not trust that they are actually destroying all the records.

Further, when a gun dealer goes out of business, the 4473 forms in either paper or electronic format are required to be sent to BATF. I know one dealer who had a convenient fire that destroyed all of his gunshop's records when he closed his business. Gee, what a pity. The joke at the time was BATF was going to have to start issuing 4473s made out of asbestos.

At the state level, things vary a lot. In Oregon, many local agencies were keeping their own secret databases of gun purchases. Later when the state police started doing background checks, they started keeping a permanent registry of all handgun sales (long arm sales still went though the feds at that time). When this was exposed, the next thing ya know friggin' John McCain shows up here to help pass the gunshow loophole ballot initiative which, among other things, authorizes the ad hoc state police registry for all firearms.

Even so, the registry can be thwarted easily because private sales are still allowed here. California did away with that.

The real purpose of a registry is to make a handy confiscation list. There is no other reason to know what non-taxable private property a law-abiding citizen owns.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian,

When you say "California did away with that", do you mean CA residents can longer do person to person sales or trades?

Here in IL we can still do private sales/trades between FOID carrying residents with simply exchanging each others info and keeping for your own personal records. How do other States vary in those transactions?

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    All firearms transactions in Commiefornia have to go through a dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.