1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun registration question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Question for FFL holder...I agree to buy a (insert firearm here) from Joe Blow in AZ and he's going to send to an FFL dealer in OH. I go to pick up gun, a NICS check is done and the gun is logged in the dealers bound book and I go home. A year later, I sell it at a gun show, or it gets stolen or whatever and shortly after that 14 year old DeQuann whatever gets arrested with the gun in his pocket. The trace on this firearm is not going to show it going to me is it? Unless each seller documents the change in custody and who it went to then the Form 4473 at my dealer and the downstream records are useless..... or are they? Isn't the firearm make and model, as well as serial number provided to BATF when the NICS check is done? Is this info being recorded?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo- wrong answers, with some exceptions as to when records dont have to be kept any longer.

Although the system is not designed to trace firearms it will in this case in fact be "traced" to you unless there was a break in the log in chain.

They go to the first dealer,whose books show it went to your dealer and then of course it can be shown as going to you. It has nothing to do with background checks. It has to do with the logs

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I believe that the serial number is not asked for in the FFL dealers call to verify if the buyer is clean. I know they ask what type, long or pistol, and shotgun or rifle.

The FFL holder I believe DOES have to write down the serial number of the gun on his form and keep that for his records while he holds a FFL. When he cancels or does not renew his FFL he has to turn those documents over to the Feds. Also a Federal Agent can come in and inspect those records with very little time, if not no notice.

If I do a sell direct with no FFL involved, and I was the last to do so as a buyer of the firearm, I have the buyer sign a receipt with name, address and phone, as the new owner. Just for my own piece of mind.

Otherwise your statement is the reason why there is an effort to make it illegal to sell guns direct. Not necessarily to trace guns,though it is done, but to stop Felons from buying them. Which by the way will not ever happen. Jon

4. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

It will trace first to joe blows dealers wholesaler if its a new gun,then to jb`s dealer, then to jb himself,and when they find out its in the secondary market they may stop at the first or second used owner depending on how high profile a crime was committed with jb`s gun.Posession is 9/10 of the law [as they say] so a gun in your hand is your gun.

5. 1100shooter

1100shooter TS Member

When the BATFE does a search for a firearm they usually start at the manufacturer/importer who would provide the name of the distributor or retailer they shipped it to originally. Then they would call that company and ask them to what retailer they sent iot to. Next they would call that retailer and find out the name of the buyer. They would be provided the name, address, and drivers license number of the buyer. Next they would call that buyer who would explain the current owner of the firearm.

Ohio is a bit unique in that a firearm owner can sell to another person without going through a FFL dealer. If this would arise all that you need say is that you sould it to someone at a gun show. If a handgun you need to varify the buyer s a Ohio resident. The BATFE considers Ohio a "dead state" for paperwork for this reason.

It is best to get a bill of sale in two copies, signed by the buyer and seller. One copy each to the buyer and seller. It shows ownership to the buyer and dispoition to the seller. {ut the drivers license number on it so that if someone moves they can be located.

6. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

If you buy multiple handguns in 7 days, a form goes to the BATF with your name and ID info and the make, model, caliber, and serial # of the handguns you purchased.

For single handgun or long gun purchases, the paperwork stays in the dealer's log books.

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

What I believe you have touched on is the "private sale loophole" that Kennedy, Schumer, Bloomberg and all anti-Second Amendment fascists have campaigned against for decades. Until they get legislation passed to make a private sale a crime...their dreams of total firearm registration will not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.