1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Refinishing Teflon/Moly Oven Bake

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stainlessbt99, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

Have your gun restored to look like new. Brownell's Teflon/Moly Oven Bake is the shooters choice. Brushed Stainless, Matte Black and Gloss Black at this time.Blasted with 120 grit Aluminum Oxide Abrasive, air brushed then oven cured.
    $150.00 long guns and $75.00 pistols plus shipping. 2 week back to you.
    Thanks

2. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

3. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

4. lighthouse

lighthouse Member

If you would post some good quality, before and after, close up pictures, I think they will help shooters make a decision on your service.

George Olsen

5. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

I will do just that. Thanks for the advice.

6. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

I am in Ohio
    Here are photo's of a 870 Comp receiver I did. It is 2 toned Stainless and black.

7. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

8. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

9. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

By the way this Signature Plus is for sale. E mail me directly

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

What is the thickness of the finish? On the BT, do you coat the edges of the receiver that meet the barrel and the edges of the trigger housing that slides into the receiver?

11. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

I will coat whatever you ask for. I need percise directions along with a phone # with the order.
    Brownells will know the thickness not me. Sorry
    The BT has a chrome slider on the side' If you are speaking where you apply the lubrication I do not coat this unless you request it. I don't believer his part should be coated to my thinking.

12. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

stainlessbt99, My question was in reference to the BT in the picture. If you coat the receiver disassembled do you avoid getting any coating on a mating surface. I assume the coating is too thick to use on those surfaces.

14. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Any of the shake and bake coatings are too thick to put on close fitting surfaces, they will be scraped right off or lock up the parts. The differences between brands of this stuff besides the names they give it is the amount of teflon or lubricating additives and the actual polymer agents. The more self lubricating the softer the finish as a general rule. If applied over parkarizing they are very rust resistant but never think they are as tough as something like nickel or hard chrome.

Can you show the magazine tube on the 1100 or did you not paint that part?

15. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

Teflon/Moly is not a coating as like a paint. It is very thin but very durable. When you put it in the oven it is actually pulled into the poors.

When I coat a gun like the BT I avoid sandblasting the parts that are in contact with the working of the gun. They are taped off. If I get overspray on these parts they are wiped down with thinner before baking.

I have been asked about the durability of Teflon/Moly and I would like to say this. After baking I wiped the gun down with laquer thinner to see what would happen and I could not touch the finish. Once you bake it the only way to remove it is to sandblast or glass bead and start over.

To answer the question from the above, I did spray the magazine tube of the 870 comp and I shoot this gun. The sliding of the forearm on the magazine tube has not affected the appearance. If the wood comes in contact with the tube Rem oil wiped it right off so I am very pleased.

16. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

17. Sccja57

Sccja57 Member

Took the plunge and sent Mr. Reeder my Remington 1187 skeet gun to refinish. Here is what I can attest to:
    Very good at answering emails
    Price was reasonable
    The finished product was terrific-looks better than rebluing
    Very fast return-lot less than his advertised 2 weeks
    I would give this guy two thumbs up
    My thanks to Mr. Reeder!!!
    John Mc.

18. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Your finishes are very attractive. Do you have any examples of gloss black?
    Are your prices based on receiving the gun already broken down and ready to begin or still assembled? What assurances of satisfaction do you present?

Buz

19. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

20. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

John Mc
    Thanks for the plug.

Alferman 66.
    Just did a gloss black for the guy above you. John Mc. His email is there and no I did not take pictures of his gloss black which I should have. Possibly he can send you some.
    I prefer to have the gun broken down and ready to sandblast. I really don't have time to dissamble.
    As far as reassurance all I can say is send me your gun and if you are not pleased with it we will work something out.

I have been in the cemetery memorial business all my life, selling cemetery stones and doing my own sandblasting, had my own business for 30 years, and I do know the public can be pain in the ass to deal with sometimes. All I can say is I will do what you tell me to do and I know you will not be dissatisfied unless you are one of the type that no matter what I do you will have problems with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.