1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Refinished with Cerakote

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dberman, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dberman

dberman Member

I'm considering Cerakote process to refinish my Ljutic. I looked at a few sites and I'm leaning toward Kentucky Gun. Has any one here used KY Gun for this process? I guess the first thing to consider is should I use Cerakote process?
    Some examples I've seen here, but a picture is really hard to evaluate colour finish,duability and satisfaction with the work.
    My gun is a one-touch with partially polished receiver from Ljutic. I'm a bit concerned about refinishing the polished portion.
    Any thoughts, experience or opinions will be very much welcomed. Pictures will be super as well.
    Please contact here or if you wish shoot me an email.

Thanks for all your imput, David Berman

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Keep it original. JMO

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

David..... I agree with Lou. Keep it original... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Let me know how it works out. I am thinking of the same thing.

jim brown

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

OK...several years ago I acquired a very lightly used, all blue monogun. I sent it to Accurate Plating & Weponry...they are a major player in this field and do a lot of work for manufacturers. I had the bbl cerakoted...matte black. I also had the receiver and forend iron hard chromed. It now looks exactly like a stainless one I used to own with a blue/black bbl. Cerakote is excellent and will wear much better than bluing on a Ljutic. And hard chrome is extremely durable, and won't gall like stainless can. I'll tell you, if you saw mine, you could not tell it from a new Stainless/blue monogun. Issue: I would not have the lock-up area cerakoted...mine was, and I had to remove some of it with scotchbrite in a few areas. I did not send the entire gun to them...only parts. If you send the entire gun, I'm sure that they will make sure it all fits as it is supposed to. 2 years later, it looks great and the Cerakote shows no wear. Its really tough, and looks fine. Bulletproof.

WNCRob

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you want the barrel to look as close to 'blueing' as possible ask for "Solcom Blue" I had an OU barrel done in it and looks really close to blueing.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I wouldn't refinish anything that's collectable, but for a shooter, I'd use Cerakote for practical purposes. Cerakote add 0.001" each layer, so your locking bolt will be very tight if you don't send them the whole gun for fitting.

I had three Perazzis Cerakote by Kentucky Gun Coating, whole gun in two tone @$175. two receivers only @$75. they did complete disassembling and reassemble, fitting at no extra charge. One of the receiver they even replaced springs for me. Great service. I'd recommend them.

JFYR, many factory pistols are Cerakoted, but because Cerakote will let you name your own name for the finish, so you might not see Cerakote in their catalogue.

The new Colt military 1911 pistol is Cerakoted, many Sig tactical models are Cerakoted, Remington use Cerakote too, just to name a few.

8. NealSS

NealSS Member

I just Had my Perazzi Comp T M 1 ceracoated by Rick Kerr and it will knock your eye out !He and his guys done a Great job on it, In a very timely manor. I never have to worry about it rusting again if I forget to bring it in a oil it up.

9. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Where are the pictures, guys???

10. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

Will ceracote and the like cover small pitting? Best option for small pitting?

11. dberman

dberman Member

Thanks for all the responses. All good information...keep them cards and letters coming!

12. normanboy

normanboy Member

Hello guys,
    I would really like to see pictures of the guy with the hard chrome. I am sending my Ljutic off to the factory tomorrow for a rebuild. I have always liked 1911's done in hard chrome. I was thinking exactly the same as you described. Please post some pictures! I would really like to see it in reality.

Thanks

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cerakote trap gun
cerocoat a perazzi receiver
does cerakote cover pitting
pitting and cerakote

will cerakote cover pitting