1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun rack for walker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dogsitter, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogsitter

dogsitter TS Member

I am forced to shoot with a walker, it has four wheels a seat and basket. when I move from station to station I have no place for my gun. Is ther anyone else on here withany ideas. Thanks Rube

2. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Maybe a gun holder like the ones used on four wheelers? I think Cabela's carries them. Good Luck, Bill

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Go to Home Depot and get two pieces of heavy aluminum strips about 8-10 inches long and an inch wide. Bend the strips in the center to form a U-shape. Drill holes in the bottom of each strip the same size as the bolts that hold the walker together on the top right and left of the walker. Remove the bolts from the walker and place the U-shaped aluminum pieces on top[RIGHT AND LEFT]. Then bolt the pieces to the top of the walker. Then wrap the U-shaped pieces with duct tape until the pieces are completely covered. Wrap the pieces with about 4-5 layers of the tape[to protect the gun].Break open the gun and place[craddle] it into the U-shaped pieces with the breech down.It works great. I had to do this once when I had to use a walker while shooting.

4. Pump Gun Pimp

Pump Gun Pimp TS Member

" You might be a Redneck if ..."

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Dogsitter,

Good luck with your situation. If possible, I think it would be better (safer) to mount the gun vertically rather than horizontally. That way, when you maneuver about the range the muzzle would be straight up or straight down rather than sweeping across people.

I know that Sporting Clays tournaments had a rather big stink about this same thing a few years ago, and they now require that all gun racks on carts or buggies hold the guns vertically (or NEAR vertical) rather than horizontally at the tournaments.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I used a walker in lieu of crutches for 6 weeks following foot surgery and do no envy anyone the experience. One of my shooting friends jokingly suggested that I mount a pick-up truck rear window gun rack to the front of the walker to aid me. It was an off-the wall suggestion but it might have merit.

Morgan

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey Rube.....is this a temporary condition ...or an ongoing situation?

If this is how you will be shooting from now on....a 'scooter' may be your best bet. The problem with scooters is that many have tiny wheels, and can get stuck in tall grass.

If Doorknob sees this, perhaps he will chime in with the brand he has ....it's the best of the bunch for trapshooting.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Rube:

I had an older buddy who was in the same situation - I mentioned the use of ATV gun racks and that's exactly what he he did. As was mentioned above, some got a little pissy because the firearm was set up horizontal, but we made sure the gun was empty and the most important thing was giving him the ability to be somewhat self-sufficient - you understand that...

Now to orietate the firearm vertically, you'd need a muzzle holder of some sort that could be affixed to a lower leg of the walker and I might recommend some sort of an "L" bracket that could be clamped, welded or screwed and then attach a pad (with a small dowel) or a cup to that extending arm of the bracket to securely hold the muzzle, while one of the ATV barackets can secure the butt stock/action.

However you approach the solution, most importantly make it work for you,

Jay Spitz

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Dogsitter, on the Rugged Gear site, the above link to this item might be just the ticket. It could be clamped or bolted to your walker and allow the gun to be toted.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.