1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Rack Etiquette

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

If my empty break open gun is standing up in the rack at the range, what is the drill for taking it from the rack and opening the action?

I only ask because I know you are not supposed to have a closed action except for in the rack and on the line ready to shoot.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I lift the gun out of the rack, keep the barrel(s) pointed up, open the latch, open the action, and then I bring the barrel(s) down for carry.

I don't lift the gun up, swing the barrel(s) down, and then open the latch and action.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

When you bring the barrels down try to make sure you are't wiping anyone with the muzzle. It's a courtesy and drills muzzle control HABIT into you.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

That's the point of opening the action before bringing the barrel(s) down. If you do inadvertently (or unavoidably) sweep someone, they can see the action is open.

Of course I avoid this entirely by never putting my gun in a rack. I either hold it, or put it in my truck.

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

Etiquette? How about those who set full cans of soda pop on the top a wooden rack? I have seen cans fall on guns. Also gun racks that fell over and people who set full boxes of shells on top of racks. How about those who carelessly place their guns and bang the ribs of a guns on the opposite side? The single row racks and 55 gallon barrel racks seem to work best.

JT

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Never ever put the gun in a rack ( unless you could care less about your gun)

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If I have to use the gun rack...

I remove the gun by grasping near the muzzles, hold it closed at "order arms" while I walk away from the crowd then lower the muzzle and open the break.

MK

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

V10 is correct. You open the gun at the rack, while it is still pointing up. No, you do NOT walk away from the rack with the closed gun at port arms, order arms, or any other military position. That violates every safety regulation at every range. You don't walk anywhere with a closed gun.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Maybe your expertness can open a break action while it's pointing up; with one hand, I can't.

MK

10. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

How about just using common sense. This is a ridiculous post. Make sure you don't place a remington next to a browing. You don't want to upset anyone.

11. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Not crazy

I was just at a certain range for the first time and the regulars were staring at me as I went to pick my gun up from the rack.

If there is a way of doing it that most ranges expect I want to know about it.

Further, no serious safety oriented question should be dismissed as silly.

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I like to take my gun out of the rack and bring it down to my waist, spin a quick 360 ensuring that I sweep everyone that is near me and clanking barrels with all of the guns in the rack. Hopefully one or two will fall over and I shout "Let's go get em!!" Then I open my gun and take the line. It seems to work for me;)

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

BTW, try the above technique next time you are in a shoot-off...it really rattles your opponents:)

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Along the same lines are clubs that have cheap, wiggly racks with small "v" cuts for the barrel to rest in.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have not read any of the post at this tme.

I will walk up to the gun rackwith an open gun. Stop in front of the rack then close the gun. Place the gun in the rack. When taking the gun off the rack. I will stand in front of the rack pick the gun up and open it. I will then go where I need to go. But at no time will I be walking with a closed gun. At all time the barrel is pointed up when closed.

16. JTEA

JTEA Member

Off topic > shoot off; Avaldes brought to mind a shoot off between a noted champ and a excellent natural shooter who could get on peoples nerves. The natural walked to the line and promptly spilled his shells all over the ground. Didn't last long after the heavy champ repeatedly bent over helping to pick up the shells. One of those odd events you may see. Perhaps the topic of a new thread? Planned? He was a bit scattered and I believe it just happened.

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Damn break open guns are nothing but scary. Buy an auto and leave the action open until ready to shoot. Really simple huh. tic

18. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

My favorite is the fellow I call the "sweeper". He has the gun over his shoulder and on the other shoulder is a double wide with attachments leather shell bag. As he goes to bring the 20 pound bag in for a landing he "sweeps" the gun rack area clear of shooters that hopefully don't get hit in the head..

FRedmon

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I find it easier on my nerves to just keep my gun in my rig when not shooting. This way, I don't have to worry about someone accidently hitting it and chipping the stock, or dinging the rib or barrel. (Ask me how I know about this..) I also don't have to worry about the gun growing legs and walking off, or someone just wanting to mount the gun without asking. When shooting, I try to leave my gun laying across the top of my shooting bag while I'm waiting to shoot and it's on the grass, etc. I also have a Rugged Gear cart for those clubs that have a long hike between traps, and the gun stays in the cart. Whenever possible, I avoid a gun rack like the plague... Bad ju-ju surrounds them at all times.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I pick up my gun from the rack, hold it down and open the thing. It requires little thought. I make it a practice to not hit anyone or anything with the gun while I am doing this.

Etiquette-- I consider it polite not to place a gun with a pull trigger next to my gun with release triggers-- I fear a flinch could jump over into my gun.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.