1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Is it common to use an over-under shotgun for singles? Does using an over-under gun present any problems in shooting singles? Which barrel do they use?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Can't speak for others, but I only shoot O/Us. I always shoot bottom barrel or bottom barrel first.

Tried top single, un-single, and true single, don't see any advantages of using a single barrel gun.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

That's what I've been using and have done pretty well for only shooting for a week or so ( I can consistently shoot 20+). I like the O/U for singles, at least I don't have to get used to shooting different guns for singles/doubles/skeet. I use the bottom barrel.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

1.Yes. 2.Incorrect selector position. Incorrect placement of fresh cartridge. More suseptibilty to crosswinds. Usually around 1/2 lb heavier than equivalent single barrel. 3. Both.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, as good or better than my unsingle.

FYI Leo Harrison and Paul Shaw, premier singles shooters, shoot their O/U's for singles....

I believe Leo uses the upper, paul I'm not sure, I use the lower even though it's only .020 it seems to work well enough.

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan

Big [​IMG] Perazzi!!!

6. Kolar 309 - 2

Kolar 309 - 2 Member

I shoot my Kolar O U for singles using top barrel and my scores are in 90's. The reason I started doing it was to inprove my doubles and it realy worked for me.I had a lot of problems with second bird, so for I have been shooting in the low 90's .Give it a try. good luck. Charlie

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I own and SKB O/U International trap that I've had and shot trap singles and doubles with for thirty years. As it dosen't have a selection of which barrel to shoot first (under always first) that is how I shoot it. No problems

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

http://www.trapshooters2.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=197859

http://www.trapshooters2.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=195830

I take it this seems to be a popular question around here.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

From 1986 to 2001 I exclusively shot my Mx8 O/U for all events. Same as Steve W. Would still do the same now only everybody started throwing targets higher and higher so I now shoot an Mx15 for handicap only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.