1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Question=Doubles Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I am thinking of getting a gun to shoot doubles with this fall or winter, either a Browning Broadway or a Winchester 101. Tell me about these guns, price range, POI, etc.

Thanks

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Of the ones that I shot:
    Both shoot flat
    Both kicked like a mule!
    Neither one fit me!

Matt

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Browning Man - There's always the possibility of getting a combo gun - SKB, Browning, etc. Advantage is the same stock fitting.

Agree with Matt, why an older Browning or Winchester?

Best,
    Dennis

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I agree with all the above. Winchester 101 and Broadway hasn't been made in years. For starts get a SKB or a Citori. You will see one or the other pop up on here! Like I said earlier, they shoot flat and kick. I bought a 3200 for doubles. It shot flat, and was out of production. Bad mistake on my part!

Matt

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

See if you can find a Citori GTI. They were used on the Sporting Clays Courses and they have a BROADWAY width rib. New enough to get parts and should not be too expensive. I had one once and can kick my backside for ever letting it go.
    It was a 50/50 gun and very nice to shoot! If you find two, let me know! LOL

6. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Get the one that fits you & your pocketbook. I've won my state's PITA Doubles Championship for my class with my Broadway Browning which I bought for $2K in '02. I installed a mercury recoil reducer which did its job but altered the gun's balance. So I removed it & just had to get used to the recoil. A Kick eez pad helps.

7. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Get the one that fits you & your pocketbook. I've won my state's PITA Doubles Championship for my class with my Broadway Browning which I bought for $2K in '02. I installed a mercury recoil reducer which did its job but altered the gun's balance. So I removed it & just had to get used to the recoil. A Kick eez pad helps.

8. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The "new" 101 Winchester is the Belgian Select. For the money, it is hard to beat!

You may find a Select Trap on sale. They discontinued the model and changed the name. This Winchester impresses about everyone who shoots it.

The GTI is also a fine gun for Dubs. My 30" Signature Model shoots about 80/20, but I have high cheekbones. It is NOT for sale! LOL

I bought a wonderfully stocked 32" XT and shot it last weekend. It shoots top barrel, 100% high, and bottom barrel, about 80/20. Shooting top barrel first, I shot a 97 the first time I tried Dubs, a 98 off the 27 with the top barrel, and a 75 straight with the bottom barrel on the 16, and a 24/25 on Bunker with top barrel first.

I think the gun fits!!!!!

Whatever gun you look at, CHECK THE POI off a rest at 13 yards with both barrels before you buy the gun!

10. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

What about a Browning Special Trap, price, POI, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.