1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun purchase decision advice. Looking at Win 101

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Here's the whole scoop....

My son started shooting trap last year. I bought him a new BT-99 and it has taken him to a 95sgl, 92hdcp average and the State Sub-Jr title in just 15 months.

He wants to start shooting doubles...

I've been trying to find a nice used doubles gun (If I take the low $$ road) to complement the BT or if I can stretch my pocketbook, I would like to get him a combo.

I personally feel an unsingle with higher comb, higher rib (he has a long neck and I want to get his head more upright on the stock) will help him as we try to finesse those next couple targets.

We shot six or seven new guns (unsingles and O/U) at the Grand and he liked the XT Unsingle Combo the best. Even over more expensive guns!

Flat out, I don't have $4,000.00 to spend.

I recently found a Win 101 combo with unsingle and O/U with tubes and it's "closer to my price range." It's not the highest rib/comb, but higher than the BT.

I had never seen a Win 101 unsingle before. I do not know what years they were made or if I should even be considering this over a newer combo or the less $$ basic doubles gun option.

Now he started shooting skeet and that makes my decision even harder.... is a 30" O/U too long for skeet?

Can we do it all with one combo... ?

I think the 101 is a solid piece, but I wonder if it will it keep him happy long term?

I know there is no one answer to any of this, I'm trying to minimize my transactions....

ANY help/thoughts/sponsorship opportunities appreciated.

SW

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with the gun you describe i'm sure. I doubt highly that any gun you buy him will keep him happy long term. He's a trap shooter!!!!

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would not get one- never liked them- and kicked like heck

you would need to purchase it in the 1100-1200 dollar range to hope to get your money back if you sell it

If you want a combo= think about a citori used combo and shop shop shop

Gene

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

You need to save up and get that Browning XT combo some how -- only in 34/32 inch -- it will work just fine for skeet and sporting clays - just change the chokes - I do it all the time. That 101 will "kick your tail" plumb off!! and you will not be able to sell it when he wants that Perazzi that he is going to want some day. Been there done that!! the beav

5. 007

007 Member

E-Mail sent

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Consider finding a good used 30 or 32" Browning XT over/under for doubles, skeet, and/or sporting clays. He may find he can shoot good singles and handicap scores with the XT. Good used ones are very affordable. Combos get pricey...meanwhile, he can hone his skills with the BT and XT. I know good shooters who have Perazzi combo sets who have purchased XTs just for doubles. Be glad you have a great son who is interested in the shooting sports. Best Regards, Ed

7. StonewallRacing

Keep it coming guys.....

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They kick... They don't have a good resale value as the only people who buy them are new shooters and the few old shooters who are so tough that no amount of recoil can jar their steely nerves.

you will here people tell you about gun fit... I guess winchester built a gun that managed to fit just about nobody. That said, I have two. One in 12ga for hunting and another in 28ga for starlings. They point beautifully and if they 12's didn't kick so hard they would have had a large following. The people who have recoil issues with this gun seldom complain about the gun not fitting them They are just like model 12's. They have short/sharply tapered forcing cones and they are light. a bad combo when you plan on shooting a bunch of ammo. as far as using it for skeet? I can shoot anything from 26 to 32 on skeet and si stlll miss low 6 nearly every time. could it be me? A used Browning over/under with 32 inch barrels. Makes one hell of a trap gun and heavy enough that you can shoot it without beating yourself to death.
    a newer Browning o/u can be purchased with all the barrel mods done right from the factory. .740 to .745 bore, ported, longer forcing cones. best of all... shop right and you may be able to use it for many years and own it for very little if the young man decides on another passion down the road.
    Brownings have great resale value and the 101 doesn't. lots of ways to go with all this. God forbid you just get him an autoloader! Several barrel lengths and choke tubes makes it an easy option and when it breaks you can fix it yourself as a rule. 101's break firing pins and hammer springs. not every day but often enough ( If you shoot alot) that you will learn how to replace these items or have your gun tied up during a shoot. Good luck! Jeff

9. StonewallRacing

I shoot a 1952 M12. Too stubborn or too cheap to buy something new. It is not the softest shooter.

If the 101 hits that hard, I'm not sure it's right for us.

I guess I am old school and the thought of my kid kicking a bunch of preppy pansies with a vintage gun sounds cool..... But this is about him and not me. I am just the financial support.

Oh.... I had the forcing cones reworked on my M12 the GunDr. and I only shoot 1 oz unless I am at the fence so the gun is very bearable to shoot.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

SW, You may want to consider a used SKB combo as well. They tend to lose some value after bought new, but are just as good as any Browning. They have the best customer service going in any gun in its class. They tend to shoot like the XT's as well. Or you can go with a citori as well. I shoot a 525 for doubles (skeet and sporting too) and had to borrow a friends XT Trap one day, They had the same POI and I shot it as well as my 525 that day. Its up to you and your son. If he is still a sub Jr. I would think about buying a gun that you can get a PFS stock system for as well. Keep the old stock and he can adj. the PFS until he is fully grown. Then put the old original stock back on for him to shoot or sell if need be. The PFS can be resold again after he grows up. Recoil may be his biggest enemy right now at his age. You may really want to give this some serious concideration and check with Vern first to see if makes a grip for any gun you want to buy!!! Perfect gun fit as he grows and no recoil to make him lift his head. Oh Yeh, Vern makes a grip for the BT-99.
    Yes a 30 inch barrel is fine in skeet as most shooters have gone to that length several years ago. I too say stay away from the Win. l0l as well. Far Far away. Gun kicks like a mule, and you can't get parts for them anymore. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I own 2 win 101's a 34/32 Diamond Grade combo and a 30 Pigeon Grade.
    Both straight stock trap models. The Pigeon was passed down from Grandfather to father and now I shoot it. It would be wise to carry extra firing pins with you to the big shoots. Other than that basic maintenance changing springs every couple years. I bought the diamond last year for $1900
    I shoot the under single for caps and my average has increased from the mid 80's to low 90's. I shoot the pigeon for 16's and double's. They are great guns if they fit you right and wont kick the day lights out of you.

Jason in PA

12. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

As for getting parts for the 101's mentioned above. Parts for this gun are not as hard to come by as you are lead to belive. Hammers, pins , springs, ejectors ect. Nu-Line gun parts and Mid West Gun Works have lots of 101 parts.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They sure do! Just reach over and grab your ankles. Jeff

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The latest versions of the Diamond Grade 101's were backbored to modern trap shooting dimensions. If you find one have a gunsmith mic the barrels to see what they are. If they are backbored then they wont kick like the old 101s.

Being used you should be able to test it out.

If your boy is comfortable with the BT's trigger then I would suggest that you stay with a Browning. If you can find a nice Lightning or a Broadway it would do him very nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.