1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Powder Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jsa3107, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

How long is gun powder good for in a sealed can?

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Keep it out of sunlight and heat, and it will last indefinitely.

Ed Yanchok

3. JLW

JLW TS Member

Until it smells bad?-Jerald

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a 12 LB keg of WW452 that had been sitting in a sealed shed for maybe close to 15 years. The temperature inside during the summer months when it was 108 outside I can only guess at. In the winter with no insulation let's say the lowest was 30 degrees.I forgot to mention the 4 kegs of Red dot that where also in the shed. All of these powders smelled OK and they shoot just fine.The price was even better.This is not the reccomended way to store gun powder but has you see with this example powder can take some abuse. PJ

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

HAD ABOUT 10 POUNDS IN A PLASTIC MILK JUG for about 10 years because of college expenses and it shot fine when I used it!

6. atashooter

atashooter Member

Jerald, I guess that's why I can't get a BANG out the wife...

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed Yanchok - Indefinitely might be a little too long but the Alliant plant does have some Red Dot that is over 100 years old and it is still good.

If stored properly, I would load powder until it becomes so old that it has a value to collectors of shooting memorabilia that exceeds the cost of new powder. If anyone has some Red Dot made before 1950, please do not load it. Sell it to me. Do not send it to Ed Yancoch even if he offers more money than I offer. Ed would be tempted to load at least one shell with the powder and he would probably break a target with the powder.

Pat Ireland

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Pat, apologies if my memory is at fault, but I think you mean Unique, the formulation of which has been unchanged for more than 100 years. Red Dot is more like 70-80 years old. The sources for that info are old Shotgun Sports one-page monthly writeups on various powders, one each month. So if I'm wrong, it's their fault. [wink]

At any rate Hercules (now Alliant) stored samples under water from the original lots for testing every so often. They dry out a sample and test it, always with the same result: the powder still performs to spec.

By the way, even though Red Dot has been "cleaned up", the only change is less graphite required in the manufacturing process. Performance is the same.

Do not mistake solvent smell for powder deterioration. On the other hand, if it has an irritating acidic smell, get rid of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.