1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Position and eye dominance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by R.Ewing, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

I was reading another thread about a guy and his daughter discussing eye dominance and things to do about it. I am Left Eye dominant and shoot right handed. The muscle in the right eye is not strong enough and is underdeveloped since birth. I am 21 and have been shooting right handed since forever. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on gun position when calling for a target? Low gun vs. high gun? any doctors out there that would have any ideas on strengthening the dominance of the eye? One problem that i have is that when i set up my gun it is never in the same spot every time. any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

2. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I am the same as you. Left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I use a piece of scotch tape over my left lens just so it blocks out all of the barrel and everything to the left of the barrel. I hold on the roof of the house or even lower. The main thing is to have the target come out over your barrel and have no blind spots. I always move the barrel up to the target. Hope this helps you.

Vince McNamara

3. laura!

laura! Member

R. Ewing, DO you shoot 1 eyed or 2? Most 2 eyed hold the gun 12-18" above the trap house. Don't know about the other 1 eyes out there, but I keep the gun lower than the roof line for posts 1 & 5, and just above for 2,3 & 4.

"I am 21 and have been shooting right handed since forever." Someone's gonna get you for this one, might as well be me. Glad you started shooting at a young age, but 21 and forever are a contradiction in terms!

4. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Laura! you make a very good point about shooting "forever." Let me rephrase that, i have been shooting right handed since i started shooting. I shoot 1 eyed because my right eye is not strong enough to take over, and left handed has never felt right. Thank you for the help, so lower is better.

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Being a ony eye dot shooter for 14 years, one MUST hold on the far edge of the house or lower. Correct, target id is a must. If you forget and creep your gun up a little, you will most likely hear lost.

GS

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I am an optometrist. Since the muscle has been a problem since birth I would assume that the sight in that eye is not as good as the other eye (lazy eye or amblyopia). The other possibility is that you switch eyes all the time but the more likely scenario is that the eye is a lazy eye. I'll make that assumption since you didn't specify.

If that is the case, I'll bet blocking out your good eye works poorly because you either still try to use the good eye (even blocked out) or you are not seeing the target well with the bad eye. If I am right about this, the magic dots etc are not the best option for you. Do yourself a favor. Take a year and get proficient shooting left handed. Your vision is the most important part of the shooting games and you can never excel if you are held back. You are very young yet and very soon you can be shooting as good as you are now with the other hand.

If you do have good vision in that eye please let me know and I might change my response.

all the best,
    john

7. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

John (tailbuster), Thank you for your response. Yes, you are right about trying to block the dominant eye out. my eye still tries to focus on whatever is covering it instead of the opposite eye taking over. When covering my left eye (dominant) with my hand, i still focus on my hand. Shooting right handed has always just felt so comfortable. Two weeks ago i was shooting 98's and 97's, then dropped to mid 70's. But the consistency is what i am really concerned about because i can never seem to set up the same time twice. Thats why i am wondering if holding a lower gun on the house would give me a better jump on the targets. I do have some times where i will set up with a high gun, and the target will come out exactly where i am holding my gun, and by the time that i see that target, i jump at it, and usually hear LOST.

8. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

RE,

I still don't know if you have good, clear vision in your problem eye.

One thing that concerns me. It is not typical for someone to go from 97 to mid 70's unless something has changed dramatically. If your set up is changing that'll do it. Is any of it maybe because you don't see the bird clearly?

As far as the set up. Trap is a very methodical game. The quicker you get your hold point and everything else set to a routine, the better for your scores. As far as holding the gun, you are basically a one eyed shooter and must hold below the top of the house so that you have the best chance of seeing the bird quicker. If you hold high, you will not see it if the gun blocks your looking eye. Even at that, don't try to get a "jump" on the bird. Gun perfectly still until your eye is locked on the target.

The body is a remarkable thing and I am always amazed at the way people learn to compensate for things. Apparently, you have learned to do that when you are shooting. BTW, your dominance will be so strong there is NO WAY that you will overcome it.

all the best,
    john

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

In my teens I shot left-handed, because I was left-handed. But, I also had a dominate right eye. At that time I didn't know that it made a difference, I just closed my right eye.

When I was 21 yrs old, I got a job at a gun club full-time. The club pro would watch me struggle at breaking targets. He suggested I try shooting right-handed.

It took about 3 months to get comfortable, shooting right-handed and keeping both eyes open. I also shot almost everyday.

20 yrs later, attempting to shoot from my left side makes me feel like a "Newbie".

Your young enough to make the change....it just takes a little determination.

Doug Braker

10. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Thank you all for your responses. I believe that this will help me in my shooting and improving my scores with a little more consistency in my mount and where i hold the gun. will be out at practice tonight, lets see how i do. Will respond later.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I am left eye Dom. Shot righty for a bit, Closeing the left eye and shooting 1 eyed righthanded. I would hold low on the house. The front corners of the roof on post 1 and 5. when shooting at different clubs I would find a predetermined spot just below the roof line and aim at that. about 1.5' in from 2 and 4 and just off center to the left from post three. then with out moving i would look just above the house and call for the bird. I did mange to shoot well. But 2 eyes are better than 1. I switched over to lefty both eyes open. took me about 1000 shells to get back to where i was before the switch. about 1500 shells to get consistant in the 23 to 25 range. I see and follow targets with more confidence. Switch over.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS my hold posistions are completly different now.

13. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

I will definitely have to try shooting left handed. I have tried to mount the gun before and it just felt really awkward. Maybe more practice with some empties will help me out. I was finally happy that i shot my first 98 at our state shoot (have been shooting for 4 years registered). It is just hard to understand the consistency problem, throws me for a loop. But it will all take time and i appreciate everyones input. never did make it out to practice tonight.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

When you do make the switch. Starshot got me this. Try these holds to start with. Worked well with me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.