1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN PICTURES AND CAMERAS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by perazzi_01, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Whats a decent camera that's reasonable cheap that can take detailed close up's of items and guns I'm trying to sell.....my portrait camera's are not cutting it....Thanks in advance.

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I use a close up lens on my camera to get detail you just can't get tight enough with out a special lens most of the time. Tom

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I hate to say it but just about any of the 5+ megapixal digital cameras that have a macro mode will take better pictures than you may want. I had an $99 Olympus 5 mega pixal that I used when I was collecting Smith and Wesson's and it was so good in macro that even fine lint would show up. The real secret is in the lighting (bright, white, diffused, multiple sources) and NO flash if you can avoid it.

--- Chip King ---

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

chip, please give some details on your lighting set up. i'm trying to bounce 1000 watts of halogen light off of the ceiling without much luck. thanks

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Indoor 4 60watt gooseneck desk lamps with bright white bulbs and white gauze (cheesecloth) over the opening. Set the lights on the 4 corners and above the target and about 2 feet away. You may need to play with this for shadows or to keep the lamp base out of the picture. Turn the flash off on the camera. Check the lamp housings fairly often and if they get too hot turn them off and take a break. I had some cotton material with wolves that I used as a backer to the pistols it was just enough off white that it didn't take over the picture.
    Lately I have just gotten lazy and use the 2 60 watt overhead CFLs and one desk light from the side to fill and set the target on my portable bench with a cardboard box behind.

--- Chip King ---

6. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Thanks !....I'm a camera dunce....I have a camera that shoots in macro mode and its 12 megapixal...guess it helps to read the manual... LOL !....

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.