1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Photography as a hobby...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Slugo, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slugo

Slugo Member

here are a few shots I took of a 45 Colt SAA nickel finish. Very hard to capture an image because of the highly reflective finish. Outdoors with an owning pulled overhead to filter the sun. Nikon DSLR equipment and lens. I do quite a bit of work for local gun shops who sell on the net, who couldn't capture an image to save their lives...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slugo

Slugo Member

hehehe, I guess it's me! Here are a few more with a different background and lens settings. Nice gun, huh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Slugo

Slugo Member

no. I bought it from a local gun dealer for next to nothing. I do most of his photography and in turn I get deals on firearms and accessories. I turned around and flipped the gun for a $400 profit. The original owner was a retired college professor who dumped his small collection of guns...

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Are you using a light box? I know a light box will alleviate some of the harsh shadows.

Bryan

5. Slugo

Slugo Member

No light box. They are very difficult to use on close in reflective surfaces. Mostly outdoor shots with filters and available light...

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

That new Butler auto could use a good photographer.

7. Slugo

Slugo Member

what's Butler Auto?

8. atadams77

atadams77 Member

it appears no flash was used, must have used a fast lens such a 2.8. might be able to get similar with a flash and an omni-bounce. light looks natural though.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

great photos! and i understand that you're a photo hobbyist, but i don't have a camera rig on par with the value of that colt: what kind of pics can you get with a simple point and shoot, like a coolpix 6100? the pics in my gun ads look pretty much like all the others: crap. any secrets? thanks

10. Slugo

Slugo Member

unfortunately, point and shoot cameras have very limited use. General picture taking at best. Sorry, that's the truth of the matter...

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you give lessons? HMB

12. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Great photo's Slugo,one of these days I'll get a digital SLR and learn how to get decent pictures. I do all right with the point and shoots, I have found you definitely need to be outside, try multiple settings and crop in IPhoto. This will give me an acceptable result but I do not get your crispness or clarity.

I trash about 1/2 the pics I take, great thing about digital.

JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

I just set them on the floor or on a board with a dowel stuck in board the barrel muzzle over the dowel and use a 35mm Nikon. Then I crop the picture and file with discription in text for my inventory.

Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Great Lakes Sporting Arms always seem to have the best pictures of their guns. Very professionally done.

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

JohnR, that's a nice old 31.

16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Slugo,

There's a new autoloader on the market made by Butler Arms. See link above. Their photo section on their website is short of good pictures. There's also a thread on it, but it' over 3 days old. Will push it up for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.